Default 5.8 mil Win ord bomb

Just looked at Duff's page and he has a 5.80 mil Win with the Ord Bomb stamped closer to the pistol grip thanis usually encountered. My 5.82 shows the same location. Is this unique to this SN range. All my other Win's have the bomb nearer the butt.

2. Default

Are you referring to the Crossed cannons Cartouche? My 5.8 Win is stamped near the center on the right side of the butt with the crossed cannon cartouche.

yes, mine and the one on Duff's page are clearly closer the pistol grip than even my 7,2 mil

4. Default

Something we've got to keep in mind is that the guys (or girls) that were doing the stamping were doing so solely to place the stamp in a visible location in the correct general area (the right side of the butt), not to confound future collectors. Variations could, and did, occur!

5. Default

Just out of curiosity I looked at my 5,829,xxx and the crossed cannons are exactly midway between the forward edge of the stock comb and the oiler slot...

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyo55 View Post
    Something we've got to keep in mind is that the guys (or girls) that were doing the stamping were doing so solely to place the stamp in a visible location in the correct general area (the right side of the butt), not to confound future collectors. Variations could, and did, occur!
    Yeah, those folks were probably just a little bit busy. I've always been amazed that we don't see more variances than we do......