Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Japanese rifles, experimental rifles???

Anyone every heard or know about these, based on the Petersen design? Rock Island action has two, a rifle and carbine. Both are serial #5. Probably on their web site, I get brochere from them every 2-3 months or so. Yes, I know about the M1 copy but these look alot like the US Pedersen that competed with our M1.

What is the caliber of the Japanese Pedersen rifles ?

Not mentioned. very short desciption. Also have a Sturmgewehr, an experimental 1903 semi-auto, a Mark 1 with the Device, magazine and mag cases, tool. And 1903 Springfield Armory with A5 scope. All experimental rifles are documented. "I wish I were a millionarie"!

Yes, I heard of the Japanese buying a few, so it is legitimate.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I do know they designed a 10 shot ( 2-5rd strippers ) fixed mag. fed semi in 7.7 jap which I belived they called the type 5 after they ran into the Garand in battle. Had one for sale at the shows here for years at around $600 . Garands were $400-450 and 7.7 was non-existant then. Last one I heard of went for 50-75 ,000 or so. I do remember it had a rear sight kinda like an AK on the reciever's rear that had a peep about the size of a sewing needle's eye . Couldn't see squat through it.
    Is this of which you speak ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBvrCACNDQ
    Chris

The Japanese had a slew of experimental rifles. Going well back before the Type5 (JapGarand). Nothing surprises me with Japanese weapons. They were more than willing to try a design, write it off and try something else very quickly. As opposed to the U.S. and other countries where favoritism, politics and kickbacks have repeatedly caused bad designs to be worked on for decades.

Not that the Japanese system was better, just different.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    I do know they designed a 10 shot ( 2-5rd strippers ) fixed mag. fed semi in 7.7 jap which I belived they called the type 5 after they ran into the Garand in battle. Had one for sale at the shows here for years at around $600 . Garands were $400-450 and 7.7 was non-existant then. Last one I heard of went for 50-75 ,000 or so. I do remember it had a rear sight kinda like an AK on the reciever's rear that had a peep about the size of a sewing needle's eye . Couldn't see squat through it.
    Is this of which you speak ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBvrCACNDQ
    Chris
    Read my post again.

Pedersen did work with the Japanese in the 1930's and tried to sell them his rifle. Problems with the Japanese, payment, royalties, what ever, Pedersen packed up and come home. The Japanese continued to work on Pedersen's design, and although it worked perfectly in trials, they were unable to get more than a few rounds down range before it malfunctioned. They worked on the design for quite a while but no go. What Pedersen neglected to tell them , was that the ammo that was used in his design, required a " Hard Wax" coating. They were never able to overcome the problems and Mr. Pedersen was probably laughing all the way till the end.
    Last edited by Ron James; 03-29-2013 at 06:39. Reason: It's Pedersen, not Peterson!!

I saw mention of the Japanese Petersen somewhere on the web, one found in the Philippines by a GI and brought home. Looked like a fairly neat rifle. The Japanese with semi autos could have changed the results of some battles.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Uhh Guys . . . .

It's PEDERSEN . . . .Not Peterson!