Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter5 Guest

Weapons design evolves hence the hand-and-a-half sword. I have enjoyed the discussion, however, the debate is over for the likes of the FBI and they have moved on; it is a real enough issue for them to demand a design change to the slide release pin. The latest versions of the 1911 have a type of countersunk rim around the pin hole. (I will try to post a pic of one of the prototypes the M45 is based on)
    The earliest versions of the M16 series did not have any fencing around the magazine release button; it changed to a raised bracket around it because experience conclusively demonstrated the mag release was being inadvertently being activated. Obviously, not good for combat weapon. Instead of complaining about it and saying a righty's hand 'shouldn't' be anywhere near the button or attempting to do the impossible and tell troops to 'keep your finger off' the button, the design had to change.

"Like I said, I can see it for a lefty, but a righty has to try to engage the "fatal flaw".

I shoot either left or right handed. I have not had the problems as described. As far as placing the index finger up by the cylinder of a revolver, it's a recipe for finger loss.

Thanks Ken. I'll take my dremel to the slidestop over the weekend.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bobby L View Post
    Thanks Ken. I'll take my dremel to the slidestop over the weekend.
    Whoa! Please don't thank me and if you must, maybe an .005" cut using a file at the correct point in the slide stop. The goal is to make a slight indent if you feel you have to. The indents are only found on early commercial models made with quality forged and machined slide stops. It made assembly and disassembly more difficult, therefore possibly not suitable for the military issue. Additionally, half of these early GM pistols went to Russia.

The current production pistols are generally fitted with MIM slide stops that have poor tolerances and are likely to wear more than machined steel making them:

A: A prime candidate for the "fatal flaw" if one was so inclined to shoot that way. or
    B: Slotted to make certain the poorly fitted part stayed where it should. and
    C: "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Personally I wouldn't worry about the silly idea but would change any MIM part for something better.
    Last edited by Ken Hill; 03-22-2013 at 09:35.
    /Ken Hill

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it!" Ayn Rand

Odd, I always thought the only flaw in a 1911 was that the trigger was not double action for the first round.

6. Default

Wonder if you put your thumb in the trigger guard and squeezed the grip safety with your forefinger that would also qualify as a "fatal flaw"?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Wonder if you put your thumb in the trigger guard and squeezed the grip safety with your forefinger that would also qualify as a "fatal flaw"?
    Absolutely! Well maybe not.
    /Ken Hill

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it!" Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Probably, since the muzzle wouod be pointed at you!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Probably, since the muzzle wouod be pointed at you!
    Very observant.

Shooter5 Guest