Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Are any of the small screws marked with numbers? I've got a Norwegian K98 that was converted to 30.06 by the Norwegians and it still has the original German serial number in addition to the "new" Norwegian serial. all of the screws are serialed to the original rifle's serial number.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Nice rifle and I do agree most likely bring back most imports both pre and post 1968 were mismatched and a lot of bring backs rifle matches its self and the bolt matches its self rare to find one with matching bolt. I don't think $1000.00 would be out of line as nice as this one is.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
    Are any of the small screws marked with numbers? I've got a Norwegian K98 that was converted to 30.06 by the Norwegians and it still has the original German serial number in addition to the "new" Norwegian serial. all of the screws are serialed to the original rifle's serial number.
    I don't find any numbers on any of the screws.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    PS; steel wool and penatrate oil will clean rust off pretty good, let it soak awhile. No abrasives!
    I am going to use 0000 steel wool with Kroil. Thanks.

5. Default

Interestingly enough, my Norwegian is the smae date and maker as your K98

The Germans were pretty anal about marking all the small parts...the original German serial number was 3884...you can see that even the screws has "84" stamped into them.

The trigger guard and action screws
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

6. Default

Nice rifle.

I hadn't noticed the barrel band (where the sling attaches) was numbered till I saw your pics. Checked mine, and the number there does match too. Double checked the screws, no numbers.

In 1940 just about all of the parts were numbered on K98k's. Later in the war 44-45 the habit was dropped due to increased production needs. The screws were probably replaced at the same time as the floorplate maybe. Still a very nice rifle. I don't see any markings in the butt, right side below the takedown disc. There should be a Nazi eagle and an H(heer) for army or L(Luftwaffe) or M(naval). Perhaps the wood has been lightly sanded at some point?
    Last edited by mike webb; 04-19-2013 at 06:03.

Don't use steel wool, it will mark the rifle finish. Use bronze wool or a copper chorboy pot scrubber
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!