Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is this 98K something special?

I bought this German 98K from an friend some years back. He said he took it in trade for some mechanic work he did for another guy in the 50's. It has no import markings, and the friend said he thought it was probably a souvenir of WWII. I am not well versed on all the markings, so I thought I'd take some pics and post them and see what you guys thought. I'm sure it's worth more than I paid for it, how much more I'm not sure. The sling is a repro I bought, and I think the cleaning rod might be too, I just don't recall. Anyway I'm not interested in selling it, just wondering if I should be shooting it much. Your input, as always, is appreciated.
    Here is a link to more pictures. http://www.fototime.com/inv/64D39C2673813DA

The lack of import markings could mean that it's a WWII "bring back" or that it was imported prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act. Prior to 68' there were no import stamp requirements. With the enactment of the 1968 law the import of military surplus arms intended for the civilian market was banned. Import resumed again in 86'?, with the "import stamp" requirement.

From what I can see, it looks like the numbers match, right down to the stock. Do I assume correctly that the barrel interior is as nice as the exterior? You shouldn't be afraid to shoot it at all. Just make certain to clean up properly if you shoot any corrosive ammo. It's something that I could make room for in my gun safe.

An "all-matching" K98 is always something special.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    From what I can see, it looks like the numbers match, right down to the stock. Do I assume correctly that the barrel interior is as nice as the exterior? You shouldn't be afraid to shoot it at all. Just make certain to clean up properly if you shoot any corrosive ammo. It's something that I could make room for in my gun safe.
    Yes, the barrel is in exceptionally nice condition. I am wondering if this rifle ever saw any combat since it is in such nice shape. Being dated 1940, it probably should have, but I just don't know.
    I have lots of milsurp rifles so I do shoot corrosive primed ammo and clean each accordingly. I have heard that the mismatched number being lined out like it is on the magazine floorplate(?) means it was replaced in a German armory. Do you have any input there?

I have shot it before, I just wasn't sure if I would hurt the collectability of it by shooting it too much.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    The lack of import markings could mean that it's a WWII "bring back" or that it was imported prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act. Prior to 68' there were no import stamp requirements. With the enactment of the 1968 law the import of military surplus arms intended for the civilian market was banned. Import resumed again in 86'?, with the "import stamp" requirement.
    I had thought about that as well. I'll have to ask the former owner next time I see him if he knows any more about the rifle. I kinda doubt he does since it was so long ago and John is now in his late 80's.

Most pre 68 imports were m/m, but of course I have not seen them all! That rifle is in excellent condition, has a barrel made by Erma, made in 1938. As barrels at this point in time were serialed I would guess this is a replacement by a field repair unit or higher. Erma made many barrels used for replacement. I have never seen one marked like this one however! And the lined out floor plate indicates it went thru some kind of repair quickly, it was not re-numberd as it would have been at an arsenal. The stock is almost as it left the factory, color wise. I would say this rifle would sell in the 1000+ range. Follower appears m/m also? maybe it and floor plate exchanged as a unit? Very nice example!
    PS; clean the rust off the bright parts (butt plate, recoil bolts, etc) not bad now but can only get worse!

8. Default

Thanks for that info dave. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could fill in blanks in my knowledge of this rifle.
    I am writing a document about each of my rifles for two reasons. One; I am going to sell some of them and it gives me a good reference to general information about them (how they shoot, function, value, etc.), and two; my heirs are going to have to deal with some of them eventually, and the documents will help with value, collectability, and general knowledge about each one. This particular Mauser will not be sold by me, so someone else will eventually benefit from whatever information I can provide. Thanks again.

I will get with cleaning the rust. I have found that these close-up pictures of my rifles have revealed things that a visual inspection doesn't. I have found it gives me a much clearer picture of the markings especially. Even using a magnifying glass doesn't do as well as the camera.

I have done the same for my collection, kept detail records of what paid, manufacture dates if known, short history, etc. As for value at present, that changes (usually up) so have left instuctions that must be researched, However my son will be getting the bulk and he also collects so I really have no need to educate him. My primary interest is 98 model Mausers (all countries) so I also have many books on them.
    PS; steel wool and penatrate oil will clean rust off pretty good, let it soak awhile. No abrasives!
    Last edited by dave; 03-13-2013 at 01:14.

243 was the "secret" code for the Mauser-Werke AG factory in the Berlin suburb of Borsignwalde.