Default Museum in search of M1903

My wife is curator of the Eagle Historical Museum in Eagle, Idaho. The museum is creating a military history exhibit at the Eagle City Hall, focusing on World War I and World War II. One of the artifacts that she is searching for is a representative US rifle. I suggested the M1903.

Here's the rub. My M1903 is a bubba'd sporter, which I would happily loan to the exhibit, but it's not exactly representative of the rifles that our men carried in the wars. So, I'm putting it out to you folks: if anybody has a drill rifle, a parts gun, working or not, that they'd like to donate or loan to the Eagle Historical Museum or sell for a low price (the museum runs on a shoestring budget), please let me know. Even if it's a box of parts that could be assembled into a displayable representative of an M1903, that would be fabulous. Condition isn't terribly important - operability makes absolutely no difference (in fact, a non-operating rifle would make the city attorney very happy!)

In fact, if anybody has the parts to restore that bubba'd gun back to battle form, that would even work - it's a Mk.I and needs the stock metal and all of the rear sight pieces. In that case, I'll just buy a stock and donate the rifle to the museum.

Any donation, of course, is tax deductible, and, if you live in Idaho, there's even a state tax credit. Also, your generosity will be noted in the exhibit. Please feel free to reply here, PM me or email me at headamp@gmail.com.

2. Default

Try contacting the CMP they may have some junkers around still. The local VFW may even loan them one.There are nice looking replica guns for sale also.

http://www.paradestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1162
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 03-25-2013 at 04:02.

Thanks, Johnny, that's a great idea!

Thank you, friends, for the excellent suggestions, here and via PM. We're negotiating a long-term loan with one of the local VFW posts.

Ernie Guest

See my post to you on CMP forum.VFW can not loan a rifle. Those are US Army property and controlled by a strict deed of trust document

Just a fyi.
    Last edited by Ernie; 03-27-2013 at 12:29.

IMA seems to have the correct configuration WWl M1903 in cast resin for $179.95.
    http://www.ima-usa.com/nation/u-s-mi...splay-gun.html

D.

Do be advised that 3 out of every 4 American soldiers in "The Great War" were issued the M1917, not the M1903.....a group that included Alvin York.

contact Rock Island, they may be able to help out.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Contact the CMP. They have a website at www.thecmp.org. Go to the Ask Orest forum and ask Orest for a M1903 drill rifle. He may be able to oblige you.

Good Luck!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 03-27-2013 at 09:05.

PM sent
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain