Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default SRS check on reported USMC rifle... and an early RIA '03.

I own a very nice '03 that I purchased in the early 1980's. It came out of the estate of a retired China Marine who served with the 4th Marines in Shanghai till he retired in 1939. The family said it was his rifle that "he brought home when he retired". I hope that is the case and he didn't pick it up after he retired. Came with sling and bayonet. It is numbered 1009445. It looks to be all original 1918 era manufacture, with no sign of rebuild that I can see. Barrel dated SA 11-18. It is about 85-90% matte blue or smooth dark parkerizing-- don't know which. Wood is very nice, but never sanded. It has a clear circle P proof behind the trigger guard but no cartouche on the side, nor any sign it ever had one. Wood has beautiful old hand-rubbed oil finish, grasping grooves. Perfect bore. No Hatcher hole, no vise marks ahead of front sight base nor stippled butt plate. It does have the USMC front and rear sights, together with the USMC front sight cover. It came to me that way. The sights and cover show every indication they have been on the rifle forever. I'll take pictures of the rifle and post them if people are interested. I would like to know if there is any record of this rifle in the SRS, and if not, what sort of range does this rifle fall into?

The second rifle I am curious about is a RIA #101382. It looks all original, CN 1908 cartouche. Barrel is RIA 11-08. Again about 85-90% original finish-- both blue and casehardening. Stock never sanded. I'm curious if there is any record of this rifle, and if not, what does it look like in its range-- anything special or interesting? Thanks!
    Bill M.

Neither rifle is an SRS hit.

Your description of the USMC rifle is completely consistent with the story that goes with it. Treat us with pictures!

J.B.

3. Default

John,
    Really appreciate your taking the time to check. One more question-- are there any other USMC rifles in or near 1009445? I will get the two rifles out tomorrow and try to take some photos. Thanks again!
    Bill M.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    Treat us with pictures!

J.B.

Please do !!!

Emri

5. Default

Deleted
    Last edited by kb466; 03-10-2013 at 03:17.

6. Default

OK-- I think this might work. I'm attaching an album of photos of the USMC '03 #1009445. If this works, I'll do the RIA '03 #101382 next. I surely would be interested in hearing any comments. Thanks!
    Bill M.

It didn't work-- so now I am just going to add a link to the album. Maybe that will work. Try clicking on the link below--

http://www.jouster.com/forums/album.php?albumid=271
    Last edited by kb466; 03-10-2013 at 01:37.

7. Default

Here are the photos for the RIA '03 Rifle #101382. Again, click on the link below and it should take you to the album with the photos. Again, comments are welcome and encouraged. Thanks!
    Bill M.
    http://www.jouster.com/forums/album.php?albumid=272

8. Default

Those are superb examples you have there Bill and thanks for the pictures! That RIA looks right as rain to me...how did you come across that jewel? If you don't mind sayin'

9. Default

Thanks for the compliments. I picked the RIA up about 18 years ago. It came from a well-known collector and dealer in this area. Interesting that after I purchased it, I picked up a booklet by C.S. Ferris on the Rock Island '03 and was pleased and surprised to see my rifle cited as a "guidepost example" of an original RIA '03 with original barrel.
    Bill M.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03Rifleman View Post
    Those are superb examples you have there Bill and thanks for the pictures! That RIA looks right as rain to me...how did you come across that jewel? If you don't mind sayin'

Beautiful! I notice the RI has the platinum wire inlay on the rear sight.