Thread: New carbine

1. Default New carbine

Attached are pictures of a carbine I picked up recently. I would appreciate any input on what I have. The tang is cracked and will need to be replaced, but I think I got a good deal on it. The serial number is 343782 and the stock has no cartouches. The Buffington rear site is marked with a C, and the breech block is marked U.S. Model 1873. Any approximations on when this carbine was produced?

Last edited by Scotty66; 03-09-2013 at 10:48.

Most likely 1886 - 6,000 were produced that year.

A nice, honest-appearing piece, seemingly with all correct parts, and, what is even more important, even wear and coloration.

3. Default

Thanks Dick. Since the stock has no markings of any kind, would it be an arsenal replacement?

Even an arsenal replacement usually has the (P) and possible some initials at rear of guard plate.

If the wood is pretty much down flush with the metal, it could be one of the arms refurbed (with wood having been sanded) at RIA for the SAW in 1898.

Is the top of the barrel band notched for the rear sight?

6. Default

No. I imagine it's supposed to be? That would explain why the rear sight appears tilted?

Yes, if it was for a Rifle with a Buffington rear sight. However the carbines with Buffington sights also had a special band that had some extra metal on it at the top that shielded and kept the front edge of the sight from catching on the edge of a carbine scabbard whenever the carbine was slid into it.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-20-2013 at 08:51.

Not all B-sighted carbines have the hump band, and none were made new with it - that was an 1890 retrofit, and the last batch of carbines was made in 1889. However, all such carbines should have the grooved band, as it was changed with the sight, if done "officially".

Thanks Dick! I stand corrected.