Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A word of caution or an FYI,

With the barrel change and Eddystone receiver, suggest that you look at the front receiver ring, with a magnifying lens to see if a crack has developed.
    NOT all Eddystones with different barrels have developed cracks but just something to be aware and check out.

Quote Originally Posted by jjrothWA View Post
    A word of caution or an FYI,

With the barrel change and Eddystone receiver, suggest that you look at the front receiver ring, with a magnifying lens to see if a crack has developed.
    NOT all Eddystones with different barrels have developed cracks but just something to be aware and check out.
    I appreciate your comments and concern. I've read quite a bit about this over time and my understanding is that the greater concern is with those Eddystones rebarelled during WWII. All comments appreciated.
    NRA Life Member

Eddstone, Winchester, Remington all used the same steel from the same plant. Midvale steel.
    the cracks iv seen are more likely from receiver wrench pressure issues, or poor wrench fitting. and not from the barrel being installed.
    i have severel pictures of cracked 1917s..more Winchesters then any..
    i do agree, no matter what rifle your rebarreling, you should always look for damage...
    however...the cracked Eddstone issue. is more Myth then fact.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    . . . . . the cracks iv seen are more likely from receiver wrench pressure issues, or poor wrench fitting. and not from the barrel being installed. . . . .
    I've read that the receiver cracks occurred when the original barrel was REMOVED . . . . . NOT when a new one was installed.

Ever notice the condition of the ring AFTER barrel removing, but BEFORE installing a new barrel?

Any truth to what I've read in the past? --Jim

agreed,
    years ago, i put the challenge out for pics of cracked 1917s...took a while.
    but i got some. and after looking at the cracks, and the stories as to when they cracked..
    all but one were likely from the wrong wrench, loose wrench, wrench abuse. over tightening or hammer use...or less then correct gunsmith tools.. bench vice, pipe wrench ect.
    the other was one i have that cracked likely from fire damage or heavy rust damage, then reblued ect,
    i have yet to see one that had a crack forced at the face, from crush pressure.
    if you understand how the square apex thread works, and how the 17 and 14 actions were made...id say it would be pretty tough to crack one from screwing in or removing the barrel, crush pressure.
    as iv said before....17s are 3.5% nickle steel, and only surface hardened, and bend real easy..though very strong, they are soft.
    you can crush a 17 reciever ring pretty easy, without trying hard, ask me how i know.
    most of the action wrenches sold today are undersized. and really not big enough to use on a 1917,
    most buy a Mauser, Springfield action wrench and use it on the 17.
    had they got one for the Jap Type 99, they may have had better results...
    anyway.
    all the cracks iv seen, but one. have been from wrench issues, rather then crushing force of the barrel being removed or installed..

6. Default

Before the Internet the 3 M1917s were rated by smiths, first was the Remington, then the Winchester, after that when it came to quality it was anyone's guess, there was no grade for the Eddystone meaning the quality was not consistent, cracked, I have two, a long ago participant of the old forum has one for show and tell. Another former participant of this forum needed a 1894 Crag barrel, I sent him one, in return he sent me an Eddystone barrel, complete with the story, he described the event about the barrel removal, he described the event and likened it to the first removal and install of the first tubeless truck tire, there was not enough room on top of and around the barrel vise and action wrench for all the help. All they wanted was the receiver.

I attempted to install the barrel on any 1 of 5 receivers, no luck, the barrel, if installed would have created stress on the receiver in the form of a wedge, I corrected the problem.

F. Guffey

7. Default

Remington M1917, claimed and declared the ugliest rifle ever, I could not see how someone could build a rifle that ugly without knowing what they were doing, sure enough, before I recovered the parts I took it to the range, I decided there was nothing I could do to improve on the accuracy so I applied the ‘leaver policy’ left-ter the way the way I received-er.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...temnum=7309186

F. Guffey

sometimes moving on is easier on the wallet

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    sometimes moving on is easier on the wallet
    The rifle is a Remington, the first choice by smiths before the Internet, I pay less for Eddystones, again, the Eddystone was a gamble, needing receivers I purchases 5 DP rifles, I wanted to pay less for the Eddystones, no deal, the price was $50.00 each, Winchester, Remington or Eddystone, bolts were sealing for $40.00.

F. Guffey