Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A couple of questions about my M1917 Eddystone

I bought this rifle quite awhile ago. It sat for years as I was told by an FFL "basement gunsmith" who supposedly gauged it that it had excessive headspace and would be dangerous to fire. Long story short, I bought a field gauge after learning that the bolt needs to be taken down to test it and it passed with flying colors. I still haven't shot it, but that's another story.

As you can see it's an Eddystone receiver and everything I can find with a marking is Eddystone except for the barrel which is a Remington. The only marking I can find on the stock is "1C" which the Ferris book indicates as an Eddystone sub-inspector mark. From the same book I learned that the receiver was manufacture between Sep. and Oct., 1918. Since it has a Remington barrel (11/18) and was parkerized, I presume it was an arsenal rebuild. What I'm wondering is why it doesn't have any rebuild marks on the stock? I saw on another recent thread here that sometimes they were not so stamped on the stock after an arsenal rebuild, so is that a reasonable presumption with this one too? Is it common too see so little in the way of markings on an M1917 stock?

The bore is dark and does appear rough. I've cleaned it a few times but haven't gotten too aggressive in that regard, so maybe it's better than I think, IDK. The most unfortunate thing to my eye is that somebody took a brush or steel wool to some of the barrel and receiver, which you might be able to see in the pics. A fair amount of parkerizing is still present and there is no rust or pitting anywhere. The stock seems in really good shape to me. I don't think it was sanded though don't know that either. The only thing I have done was replace the rear sight as some bubba (probably the same one who took the wire brush to it) cut the battle sight peep into a v-notch. I found a replacement "E" sight for a buck or so at a gun show. Oh, the hand guard had a cosmetic crack but wood glue did a pretty good job with that and it's not very noticeable.

I'm not looking for the actual history of this rifle, just wondering what those of you here think its probable evolution to this point was? I don't think it has any real collector value, so I'm not worried about that. I think I paid ~ $125 - $150 back in the mid-latter 90s and I'm sure for parts alone it's worth more than that.

NRA Life Member

If you have cleaned it already then take it out and put some rounds down range with it. You may be surprised how good the barrel might be. Since it has a Remington barrel then it has been changed as all three of the companies used their own barrels only. The stock appears to have been cleaned and maybe sanded at some point in the past. Yes sometimes they were rebuilt and not stamped depending on when and where it was done. I have one similar to yours and it's very enjoyable to shoot and quite accurate. Value is at least in the $500+ range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Value is at least in the $500+ range.
    Appreciate your comments. Yep, this one is long overdue for a trip to the range. The snow should be melting pretty soon, so that opportunity will arise!

I'm pleasantly surprised at your value estimate. I figured with the scrubbed metal it wouldn't have crept up that much.
    NRA Life Member

clean the bore well, before you take it to the range,.
    try using hot soapy water with a worn brush, then clean with bore solvent of your choice...remove from the stock first.
    never...shoot a rifle clean...
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Welcome to the forum, Doc, from an expat (soon to be repatriated) Michigander. Any way you cut it, that's a nice looking 1917 and I agree with the $500+ ballpark value. Unless the abrasion on the metal is a lot worse than it looks in the photos, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a battle rifle and it is what it is. If it really bothers you, you could send the stripped barreled receiver out to Chuck and he'll refinish it for you. He does a nice job and his prices are reasonable.

As Tuna and Chuck have said, the only way to know how it shoots is to put some rounds through it. (You live in the UP and you don't shoot in the snow . . . really? ) How does the muzzle look? Any dings or gouges? Have you done a "bullet test" to get an idea of the muzzle wear?

From the look of the finger grooves, the stock doesn't appear to have been heavily sanded. I find it interesting that there are no "Eagle Head" inspections stamps (original inspection stamps) on it. That makes me think it isn't the stock it left the Eddystone factory in. Is there a large "E" (or "R" or "W") stamped into the front tip of the stock? It's likely that many of these rifles were repaired in locations other than the arsenals ... could that be a field replacement?

Keep us posted. Good shooting.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 03-08-2013 at 04:22. Reason: Too many thumbs - too few fingers.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Doc, from an expat (soon to be repatriated) Michigander. Any way you cut it, that's a nice looking 1917 and I agree with the $500+ ballpark value. Unless the abrasion on the metal is a lot worse than it looks in the photos, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a battle rifle and it is what it is. If it really bothers you, you could send the stripped barreled receiver out to Chuck and he'll refinish it for you. He does a nice job and his prices are reasonable.
    I don't know that it bothers me that much, I was only after a reasonable example to begin with. Just thought that it was always best to leave the metal with old guns and blades as is. The metal's not gouged, just the parkerizing scrubbed off in spots. Though now that it has been messed with, maybe refinishing might be something to consider. Guess I need to make sure the barrel shoots well enough to consider it.

How does the muzzle look? Any dings or gouges? Have you done a "bullet test" to get an idea of the muzzle wear?

I think it still has some life. What do you think?

From the look of the finger grooves, the stock doesn't appear to have been heavily sanded. I find it interesting that there are no "Eagle Head" inspections stamps (original inspection stamps) on it. That makes me think it isn't the stock it left the Eddystone factory in. Is there a large "E" (or "R" or "W") stamped into the front tip of the stock? It's likely that many of these rifles were repaired in locations other than the arsenals ... could that be a field replacement?
    That's been my main question. That 1C goes along with Eddystone but there's nothing else. Maybe the other stamps have been sanded off and the 1C is all that survived?

You live in the UP and you don't shoot in the snow . . . really?
    Nah, I live in the Tip of the Mitt. My club range is closed this time of year. If I really wanted to shoot there nobody would care but trudging a couple of hundred yards back and forth to the target through a couple of feet of snow wears thin pretty quickly. Or maybe I'm just getting old and lazy!

You've probably been away for awhile but no self-respecting Yooper would ever say he lived in Northern Michigan. He'd tell you he lived in 'da UP, eh? So as not to be confused wit doz trolls livin' under 'da Bridge, dontcha' know? HOLY WAH!!
    Last edited by DocCasualty; 03-08-2013 at 07:14.
    NRA Life Member

Hi Doc,
    Some posters here have had good luck with bore cleaning by securely plugging either the muzzle or the chamber and filling the bore with Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner and letting it sit for 24 hours or so. The pitting should not affect available accuracy but will make cleaning more arduous. Good Luck with the M1917, a terrific rifle and vastly underrated for most of its' existence. George in NH

After WWI there was a limited rebuild program for M1917's but that didn't last very long. Most of the rifles in need of arsenal overhaul were simply put into storage. Considering that there were nearly a million Enfields still in unissued condition at the end of the war (those would be the units that would later shipped to England during the dark days ofWWII) there just didn't seem to be a pressing need to invest in the rebuilding of what was even then viewed as a secondary arm. Of course when the U.S. entered WWII it once again found itself short of arms. Having already shipped off the best of its M1917's to England there was a rush order put on rehabing the used
    1917's left over from WWI. The deal was to get them out the door ASAP. To that end some of the normal rebuild procedures were sort of relaxed. For example there was never any attempt made to "zero" in rebarreled units. In fact many units that received replacement barrels (either left over WWI production or newly made ones such as High Standard) had salvaged WWI front sight bases installed on them, completed with the original blade inserts still in them from the day they were 1st "regulated" to their original barrels at the WWI factory arsenal. I guess that the idea was that the field unit armorer would deal with windage and elevation issues arising from using old sights. Several years ago I bought a 1917 that appeared to be fresh from the rebuild process. The bolt was still stiff from the parkerize. I soon found out that the thing shot 10" low and 2' to the left @ 100yds with the battle sight. I found that the Eddystone barrel had a Winchester front sight base base, complete with the tallest Winchester blade that was made. Obviously this gun was never issued during WWII, or if it ever was it was quickly tossed aside as being useless; nobody ever took the time to repair it until I did by obtaining one the shorter inserts and then adjusting it for windage. I can only imagine the frustration that some new recruits must have had on the range if they were issued 1917's that came fresh from the rebuild process, especially if their instructors didn't understand what they were dealing with.

I finally got this rifle out to the range today and was pleased with the results. Battle sight shot about 8" high and 100 yard sight was pretty much on with reasonable groups. I was off a little to the right but that might have been me, even though I had a makeshift rest off the bench. I obviously need to start shooting more, as off-hand I was doing pretty lousy, though that was at the end of the range session.

This bore still looks kind of rough after all its cleaning and even after clean-up today shooting milsurp FMJ ammo, though I guess it isn't much of a practical shooting issue after all. I'm kind of curious if an electronic bore cleaner would do any more but at this point that might be a bit obsessive.
    NRA Life Member

Nice looking rifle
    If your shooting with the battle sight (sight ladder down) then your shooting at an aperture that is zeroed at 450 yards; that may explain the 8" high.
    As for the bore, I wouldn't bother with an electric bore cleaner, it would just make the bore rougher.
    Lots of these rifles were ceremonial rifles shooting corrosive blanks and never cleaned and that is why the bore is in such bad shape, but like what was said above, it wont hurt the accuracy.
    If the bore really really bothers you, you can buy a new barrel from the CMP E store.
    Once it has been decided to fight, one should do so to the very end, to conquer or perish...... Nothing smells better than the body of a dead enemy.

The meek shall inherit the earth - in little 3x6 plots Robert Heinlein