Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Already done

2. Default

Hello Richard,

Not sure which email address you used, but I have not received it as of yet...

alanroseman@me.com

3. Default

Already done.

4. Default

It was a pm I am emailing now

It is good that you have the original holster, belt, etc with this pistol. Looking on ebay or other websites, a WW1 holster and belt would set you back......Mmmmmmmm $200 max? Your belt and holster may be "original" with the pistol but lets face it, there is really no way to prove that. As well as they look, in the end they are just another accessory that can be found and added to a pistol to complete a "rig" whether it was done 80 years ago or 3 years ago. As for the auction houses.........of course they are going to tell you what you would like to hear it is money in their pocket no matter if it sells for what they told you it might sell for or some lesser amount. You may come out better financially selling the pistol on your on. Just my .02$

John

Shooter5 Guest

Why did RemUMC get into the pistol business? Where they and others looking to expand into more government contracts? Was Colt and Springfield production not enough to meet demand?
    I can see why WW2 production occurred at different mfg's but it seems that in WW1 by the time the US stepped in the end ended relatively soon after.
    Last edited by Shooter5; 03-08-2013 at 09:46.

7. Default It sold to a collector...

Hello All,

Thanks for your contributions and opinions regards the 1911 UMC. Since posting here last evening, the gun sold to a collector who saw it on this site.

It sold for an amount consistent with that offered by James. T Julia...

It's been quite a learning experience for me.

Cheers,

8. Default Unsolicited Plug for this board!

PS. here's an unsolicited plug for this forum.

I came here yesterday, posted my question, and received several offers from around the US in less than 24 hours... all substantial.

It's quite obvious that serious collectors pay attention to this forum... while they may not post, they sure do know exactly what they're looking for.

More importantly, they know what they're looking at. There was zero hesitation from a few knowledgeable collectors.

Great job with this Board & Forum!!

Cheers, Alan

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
    Why did RemUMC get into the pistol business? Where they and others looking to expand into more government contracts? Was Colt and Springfield production not enough to meet demand?
    I can see why WW2 production occurred at different mfg's but it seems that in WW1 by the time the US stepped in the end ended relatively soon after.
    There was a huge shortage of handguns to equip the troops when the U.S. got into WWI. Ordnance went to Colt and S&W to buy revolvers since the models were already in production, and only minor changes were needed to meet the military needs.

Remington-UMC ended up with a contract 500,000 Model 1911 pistols, but the war ended and slightly less than 22,000 were delivered before the contract was cancelled.

In addition to Remington-UMC, contracts were also issued to eight other firms for the manufacture of the Model 1911, but the war ended and the contracts cancelled with no pistols being delivered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    There was a huge shortage of handguns to equip the troops when the U.S. got into WWI. Ordnance went to Colt and S&W to buy revolvers since the models were already in production, and only minor changes were needed to meet the military needs.

Remington-UMC ended up with a contract 500,000 Model 1911 pistols, but the war ended and slightly less than 22,000 were delivered before the contract was cancelled.

In addition to Remington-UMC, contracts were also issued to eight other firms for the manufacture of the Model 1911, but the war ended and the contracts cancelled with no pistols being delivered.
    Because Springfield embarrassingly could not produce enough rifles for the war, they stopped production of the 1911 to increase 1903 production.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur