Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Remington Model 1911 UMC

Hello Folks,

I do not have a complete history of the UMC, but I do have some information.

The UMC was brought back to the USA by Capt. William Sommerville from his tour in the Africa Corp during WWII.

He stored the UMC in a footlocker, in his basement until the 1970's.

It has been in my possession since approximately 1974. I also have the original holster and web belt.

Every cartouche is evident, including the barrel marking. The UMC even has the original magazine (clip) which has a slightly more extended butt than the replacement magazines.

I'm curious where you folks might place the value, as I'm interested in setting out for auction with a well known auction company..

A few of the images would not upload... the barrel has the correct stamp as well..

Help would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

faded pretty bad but this you know..........I'd still rate it NRA good... unless in person it looked rougher.good luck to you.......near mint it ain't........... & the big money buyers want it either NIB or very, very close to mint condition.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

3. Default

I was under the impression that this particular gun is quite difficult to find. Only 22,000 produced. That combined with the fact that it has not been refinished and has its original holster rendered it quite valuable. Then again, I may be wrong.

it is what I call in near rough condition.............& condition is everything........ sorry.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Having sold one of these not all that long ago in somewhat better condition (although photos can be deceiving) I have to agree with dagimp. Collectors who are willing to spend serious money are VERY condition oriented. Every percent less finish from like new can devalue the piece sometimes by as much as 10% or more until you get down to 95% or so when the slope starts to level out. Mine was all correct, finish was about 90% although it had faded toward brown in some areas. It was shown to several serious collectors at three major shows and although all showed interest, the offers were all well below what a near mint piece would bring (by about 50%). Still sold for more than a Colt in similar condition, but only by a relatively small amount. By the time a major auction house sells it (if they are even interested) and takes their cut (usually more than you think - 25 to 30 percent or even more is common) you probably could sell it privately for as much or more as you would realize from the auction. For top dollar a piece must have three things - Condition, rarity and desirability. This one has only fair rarity and condition although the desirability is fairly high.

6. Default

I like it and would be proud to have it in my collection. Here is a thought for you on the auction business....RIA I think gets 20% ouch so go look at the one that sold last December. There is a dreamer on GB.com I have been trying to work with and his is a real dog and notice it has NEVER been bid on. It is worth what someone will pay and that's about it. I know a guy that would buy yours in that condition if it was priced for condition.

7. Default Thanks for the input...

da gimp: No reason to be sorry. it's just a gun, I didn't design it, build it or invent it... I appreciate the feedback. Again, I understand the condition, but I do disagree that condition "is everything". I'd say condition would be relative to scarcity, and this model has plenty of scarcity.

Richard 1911. The James T Julia auction house has the images, they feel it will do quite well especially as it has its original scabbard / holster. They have in fact attached a fairly significant number as a reserve price should I proceed. Of course they spend considerable time and money advertising their auctions to ensure serious collectors will be aware of what is upcoming.

I'm not a collector of militaria, or 1911's. That said, I have fairly strong provenance, the original web belt and scabbard, all of the numbers and markings are correct, and it is the rarest of the 1911's according to most known sources.

I do notice that while folks here are commenting on condition and value by percentages, as yet none has ventured forth with a dollar amount... Any special reason there?

8. Default Better Images

Hello Folks,

The images I sent were not very flattering to the gun.
    They were taken with harsh angled lighting to accentuate the markings, stamps and cartouche.

This may help you guys get a feel for the entire package as memorabilia ..

These images present the gun along with its accessories.
    Original Scabbard / dated and inspection stamped.
    Original khaki web belt stamped US.

I/m told it is quite rare to have the complete, unrestored ensemble...

Does this help at all?
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Default

That's because everyone wants a deal or to not offer more than what the price is you have established in your mind.
    Some people have more money than brains and others are more frugal when it comes to their hobby.

10. Default

Thanks Richard, I believe you are correct in that assessment. Feel free to contact me via private email if you can offer some consult on this issue.

Cheers, Alan
    Last edited by alanroseman; 03-08-2013 at 06:36.