1. Default My recent 1898 Krag rifle project

This is the 3rd of three Krags picked up in three days. 1898 Krag rifle, SN 278593. (any one know if it has an SRS hit?)

It looks to be original, except for the cut stock (intend to repair) and missing handguard, muzzle cap and rear sling swivel. Hope to get her back in shape over the next couple months.

Any input appreciated!

Is this repairable? or should I replace the whole sight? As I have a nice sight on the other sporterd Krag that will not be used on it.

Again I would appreciate any and all information you Gents can give. In 3 days I became a Krag junkie!

Semper Fi, Rob

Nice, good for you! I'm jealous, this is just the sort of rifle I like to get my hands on. An easy fix. How's the bore?

In case you are looking for a source here's where I've been getting my wood for the Krags I've restored:

http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/

If you don't readily find the rear sling swivel give me a shout I may be able to help you out.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Good score, Sgt. Rob. Looks like an easy (relatively speaking) fix. Is that a high-water mark on the buttstock?

As for the sight, you can probably use it as is for target shooting and take your time finding a replacement. Touch it up with a file and a little bluing.

Good luck!

jn

4. Default

Thanks Gentleman, the stock looks like it had a rubber recoil pad on it for years, however I think it will clean up nicely. Thanks also for the parrts source, that is one I have not stumbled across yet.

Is it possible to fix the rear sight? If not I have another. Searching old posts it looks like removing the slide is a rather trying task.

Oh, and the bore is excellent, she should make for some fine shooting.

Semper Fi, Rob

I see that's an Italian walnut stock. I had Dunlap Woodcrafts cut a forearm from European walnut for me, not much hope of making a black walnut one match the color of that stock. I don't know if Dunlap would be willing to do it again, took them three tries to get it done, mainly because of hidden flaws in the wood that weren't visible until the wood was trimmed down. So, for what he charged, $150, he sure didn't make any money on the project. I haven't put it on yet, but it appears to match the color of the stock very well. As for the rear sight, I'd get another slider or just swap the sight with another until I found another slider. I've never had one apart, but I'm sure someone here has. If I had a spare, I'd offer it to you.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

6. Default

Thanks for the information Madsenshooter. Appreciate your offer but I do have another sight, if possible will try to fix this one. I had thought it was the Italian walnut, and am glad that you could confirm that. I'll check into Dunlap and see what happens. I am intrested to see how yours turns out so please let me know. So far in searching past posts I have not run across one on sight dissasembly, only a couple mentions that it is a difficult task. Not that I wouldn't try it, but I would like to know before hand of any tricks to it.

Semper Fi, Rob

Fellow I sold a barrel to once had a 1901 sight with a broken locking knob, he bought an 03 knob off me and took it to, of all things, a watch repairman to have it changed.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson