1. Default New to forum, with questions on 1896 Krag Carbine.

Hello Gents, I have been reading through here quite a bit and decided I should join up again ( I was a member here about 8-10 years ago) as I have recently been bitten by the Krag bug. What got it started was a conversation with a coworker about a Krag he had. All parties thinking it was a sportered rifle. Well after making the deal it appears to be an actual 1896 Carbine. I will post some pictures and would appreciate any info provided, particularly as it appears that some members still have access to SRS information. Serial # is 77250. The stock is completely unsalvageable. So basically what I have is a barreled action missing the rear sight and the safety on the bolt. All other parts will need to be searched for. Please let me know what you think. I think it is a restoration candidate. The bore is nice, given the rust on the outside I was surprised by that.

Remember she is rough, but restoration has already begun..........

Semper Fi, Rob

1896 Krag carbine parts are almost unobtainable, especially the rear sight and saddle ring. The front sight looks like it was brazed on post-military. Unless you could make a "pseudo" carbine, using rifle parts, I think it would not be advisable.

No SRS hit, at least in Mallory's book. I have 77205, by the way. It is original, except for a couple of small parts, I believe on the rear sight.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-04-2013 at 04:33.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

To quote Madonna's gynecologist: "what happened to that thing?"

jn

4. Default

It looks to have been rode hard and put away wet, alot. Madonna's diagnosis.

Seriously, it belonged to a co workers uncle and was "his hunting tool" . After that it has sat in my friends closet for close to 30 - 35 years. We first talked about it 6 months or so ago and he asked me if I wanted it then. I decided to pass at the time. He tried to sell it to a few others, but its condition did not generate any interest. A week or so ago my youngest started asking about a deer rifle and I remembered this one. Thinking it would make a nice starter rifle after a good cleaning, and that I could cut the stock to fit, I traded for it. All this time everyone thinking it was already a cut down rifle. I know alot about USGI weapons from WWI and up, but prior to that my knowledge is limited. After getting home and starting to search for a safety I started doing some more digging on it and realized it was a carbine, albiet very rough on the outside and missing some parts. Being the USGI enthusiast that I am I have to attempt some type of restoration, so I hope their is some help here. Over the weekend, I bought two more Krags, one for the deer rifle originally sought after, and I stumbled on an 1898 rifle that has had the stock cut, but is otherwise in nice shape. I figure if I am going to do this, why not jump in with both feet!

Semper Fi, Rob