Thread: 1870 Trapdoor

1. Default 1870 Trapdoor

I just bought this rifle from an estate. The stock is heavily damaged by fire. The story is it was confiscated from Indians in Wyoming in the late 1800's by the government. It was in a cache of such weapons that the government attempted to burn, then bury. It was rescued and sold to an Idaho artist who then sold it to a family friend, then from his estate to me.
    I bought it based on a very poor picture, although the sellers friend told me the stock was burned. I thought wall hanger, so what the heck. The stock is worse than I expected so I'm not sure what to do with it at this point. Anyway for $50 I can't get hurt. I'm including a link to some pics I took. Sad to see this rifle in it's current condition, but I doubt I could find a stock for it, or that this one can be repaired. I know next to nothing about trapdoor rifles beyond the very basics so any information anyone could share would be appreciated.

Link to more pictures.
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/3149DEE78F91FA4

Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 03-04-2013 at 07:22.

The rifle pictured is actually a Model 1868 . . . . . NOT a Model 1870.

Model 1870's did NOT have serial numbers . . . PLUS, the receiver was a tad shorter at the front.

Suggest you peruse www.trapdoorcollector.com and view the pictures.--Jim

That's an interesting piece. Certainly well worth $50 - true value in parts is probably closer to $400-$500.

I VERY much doubt the Indian story - with a few anomalies, that was a nearly mint gun before the fire, something Indians are not noted for having. The blacking on receiver and block is not a very permanent finish at all. But, how did the upper band (for example) get all pitted, while the rest of the metal around it is pristine? Why is the trigger from a post-1883 .45-70? The front sight has been modified; the original was one-piece and did not have a removable blade which could have been swapped. The cleaning rod does not belong to any known Springfield.

With all due respect to prior post, better and more comprehensive pictures may be seen at www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af

At the price you paid, you can easily afford to upgrade the appearance of that one. I would NOT, however, plan on shooting it, due to the fire.

4. Default

I knew the cleaning rod could not be original due to it's overlength. I also thought the finish on the block and receiver looked like some kind of cold bluing. I guess I'll never really know the story of this rifle. I'm sure the story told to me was believed by the previous owners, how that story originated will remain a mystery along with the true history of the rifle. I am just beginning to learn about these rifles. I am really not interested in selling it for parts. I really would like to somehow resolve (even if only cosmetically) the stock issue. I never intended to fire it anyway, I just thought it would make an interesting wall hanger. I will try to contact Rick Borecky regarding the stock, and see if there is any way it could be repaired appearancewise. Thanks for the responses, I will check out the recommended sites.
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 03-04-2013 at 10:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    I knew the cleaning rod could not be original due to it's overlength. I also thought the finish on the block and receiver looked like some kind of cold bluing. I guess I'll never really know the story of this rifle. I'm sure the story told to me was believed by the previous owners, how that story originated will remain a mystery along with the true history of the rifle. I am just beginning to learn about these rifles. I am really not interested in selling it for parts. I really would like to somehow resolve (even if only cosmetically) the stock issue. I never intended to fire it anyway, I just thought it would make an interesting wall hanger. I will try to contact Rick Borecky regarding the stock, and see if there is any way it could be repaired appearancewise. Thanks for the responses, I will check out the recommended sites.
    There is a possibility that you could find a cut down stock...one from a Civil War Springfield might work... and splice the fore-end to it under the lower band.

Might have hung over the fireplace too long?