Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMP Krag

Default CMP Krag

Here is a $300 salvage Krag purchased from the CMP. The bore is decent. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Default

Now there's a fantastic late winter's project. Cartouche date is right for the serial number. It appears complete (except for the little chunk of wood, of course) and the stock is unsanded.1902 rear sight is great for shooting (as usual, I'll say: forget about the swing-up peep unless you have young eyes). It'll be a beauty when you clean it up. Do you have experience disassembling Krags? Look in the butt trap?
    Last edited by M2Phil; 03-02-2013 at 12:46.

You did very well. You couldn't touch the parts for $300. Congrats, John

4. Default

I asked Leon to handselect a Krag for me last year. My rear sight was busted and so was the handguard. But the bore is excellent and I took it to Phoenix for the CMP Games. I did its job OK, but off-hand was a mess, my fault. I need to shoot 2-3 matches prior to going back to Phoenix, but ammo isn't easy to find. Fun gun, very glad I bought one while the CMP had a few.

5. Default

I picked one of those $300 as well from the south store last summer. Butt plate and front sight blade was all it needed, shoots as well as my "good" Krag. Chip in the stock toe. Those were certainly a smoking hot deal while they lasted.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Phil View Post
    Now there's a fantastic late winter's project. Cartouche date is right for the serial number. It appears complete (except for the little chunk of wood, of course) and the stock is unsanded.1902 rear sight is great for shooting (as usual, I'll say: forget about the swing-up peep unless you have young eyes). It'll be a beauty when you clean it up. Do you have experience disassembling Krags? Look in the butt trap?
    Thank you for the reply. I got the bolt apart and cleaned it. There is nothing in the butt trap. Looking for some 220 gr Sierras to work up a load.

The CMP Krags were one of the great bargains of the last year. Had I known they were anywhere like what I found out, I would have bought a couple. For $300 you made out like a bandit, IMHO.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

8. Default

I load for my Krag and use it in our Military matches. I use 220grn RN over 35grns of IMR4895 and it shoots real well. That is quite rifle for the money, congrats!

I should drive up to the CMP north store more often!
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

IIRC, the CMP had Krags a few years ago, and most of them were real dogs. When they advertised these a couple of years ago, it was thought they would be more of the same. Boy, were WE wrong!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis