Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nothing I can see w/o looking closer in person! I can give you the correct WaA codes/inspection marks if you wish to double check the serial numbers. They should be 214 maybe some 26 parts as this number was used until 1938. Always a chance of couple different numbers, contract parts you know, then you must depend on serial number font being the same.

These numbers were assigned to indiviual officers who were in charge of the area inspection district. Inspected many war industries in that district. They kept these numbers as long as they had the job and took them with them when transferred to another district. Of course all the inspectors who worked under him used that number also.
    Last edited by dave; 03-01-2013 at 06:06.

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    Dave, 98K's may be hard to fake expertly................ but if the average Joe doesn't know enough, even a passable bad one will be enough to get someone to buy it........ e.g Riverbank Armory's faked USGI M1 Carbine parts........ol George of Riverbank has fleeced people for years with this crap..........
    Of course you are quite right. I have been collecting these since the 50's so I know more then the "average Joe". But unlike then there are plenty of books out on the subject now! A.J. should get educated, but of course if you see something at a good price its sometimes better to act un-educated and take a chance. Couple years ago I saw a long Lee-Enfield in an antique shop, 350 bucks! I knew nothing about these but snapped it up! Year later I sold it for 850 bucks! I could have got stuck too but figured it was worth more then 350.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Nothing I can see w/o looking closer in person! I can give you the correct WaA codes/inspection marks if you wish to double check the serial numbers. They should be 214 maybe some 26 parts as this number was used until 1938. Always a chance of couple different numbers, contract parts you know, then you must depend on serial number font being the same.

These numbers were assigned to indiviual officers who were in charge of the area inspection district. Inspected many war industries in that district. They kept these numbers as long as they had the job and took them with them when transferred to another district. Of course all the inspectors who worked under him used that number also.
    I would like to have the codes/marks that you refer to. Thanks for all the help!!
    "In God We Trust"

IMHO the price is a little high. On the other hand, the prices I've seem recently on firearms blows my mind.

think ya did pretty fair from what I've seen..... congrats sir.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Thank you Mr. gimp, I know its not mint by any standard, but I feel like it is a very cool piece of history.
    "In God We Trust"

Thumbs up

I agree with dave, in that condition, with a mismatched stock, value is around $700. If the stock matched value would jump to $850+.
    A correction on his proof marks though. There will probably be a mix of WaA280 u. WaA26 on the rifle. 1939 was a tansition year from 280 to 26. No WaA214.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I agree with dave, in that condition, with a mismatched stock, value is around $700. If the stock matched value would jump to $850+.
    A correction on his proof marks though. There will probably be a mix of WaA280 u. WaA26 on the rifle. 1939 was a tansition year from 280 to 26. No WaA214.
    Sarge
    I was looking at the wrong maker. We are discussing Code 243, Mauser Berlin. I looked under Berlin Lubecker, Code 237!
    I must have been cross eyed the other day!
    Last edited by dave; 03-09-2013 at 06:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerusp45 View Post
    I would like to have the codes/marks that you refer to. Thanks for all the help!!
    It is too long for me to copy here. I would be glad to send one thru the mail. I can not scan and post either. e-mail me davcath55@gmail.com