1. Default Original correct M1917 Value Questions

Is a original correct Remington with no arsenal cartouches and with a shot out barrel be more valuable than an arsenal refurbished mixmaster Remington M1917 shooter?

Would such an original correct Remington (with a vintage WW I sling) selling for $650 be a good deal?

Thanks.

2. Default

It might be to someone who wants a correct original piece for a collection. I think for most it would be worth less than the mixmaster. Also, just because a rifle doesn't have any rebuild stamps doesn't mean it hasen't been through a rebuild. I have two winchesters with original blueing and a post WWI parked remington that do not have rebuild stamps but I can tell went through some rebuilding/inspection. The last rifle I had rebarreled cost me $75 for the gunsmith plus the cost of the barrel and I didn't have to refinish it since I used an HS barrel on a WWII parked receiver. With all the parts on the market, it cheaper to put together a "correct" rifle and try and sell it at a premium than to replace the bad barrel.
    A note on bad barrels. Some poor looking bores will shoot well and some that look horrible will clean up well.
    They are addictive.
    john

Lack of rebuild stamps doesnt mean no rebuild, it most likely went through at least one overhaul in Europe following the war and maybe another stateside in the twentys (when they found out so many were shot due to corrosion because of improper storage prep).
    These would not have a rebuild stamp.
    I am not sure when they started using the rebuild stamps, any rebuilds before then wouldn't have a stamp.

As to value, the correct would come in cheaper than the mixmaster if the correct has a tomato stake for a barrel, with bad barrel you may be looking at around 500-550.
    If you find a collector however who isn't concerned with the barrel condition, then you may be able to get your 650 or whatever the market will bear with the individual buyer.

BTW, a mixmaster Remington should bring in 650-700 these days, depending on your local market; for some reason these rifles vary price with geographic location, go figure
    Once it has been decided to fight, one should do so to the very end, to conquer or perish...... Nothing smells better than the body of a dead enemy.

The meek shall inherit the earth - in little 3x6 plots Robert Heinlein

one thing you can be sure of; with the run-up to the 100th anniversary of WWI, anything from that era will go up in price.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

a rifle you cant shoot is worthless to me, your idea of original, and mine are likely not the same.
    id take a rifle that can be shot over one that cant...
    even if indeed its original...with a nasty bore, 350.00 tops, maybe'
    a nice shooter rebuild, with good barrel.. 450.00 to 600.00
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Depends on what you want to do with it. I would want one with a good barrel to shoot, but if I wanted to make a base for a floor lamp, with all correct markings I would take the other.