Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I admit there is still a market for a relatively short, accurate book on the M1903 - it has still to be written. The one I reviewed is obviously it (and no, I'm not the one to write it, either!).
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

1) The author claims that Alvin York used a M1903. While I admit there is some evidence to support this, Thompson claims that since a statue shows York with a M1903, it must be true.

My experience with this statement is that Andy York his son asked me to sell him an 03 just like his daddy used to display at the family home in Pall Mall TN. I did but the rifle ended up with a friend of his who liked it more!!

I think the reason I brought that up in my review is that, the subject of what rifle Alvin York used in WWI (I am NOT trying to revive THAT dead horse!) is at best, highly disputed; for someone to say that he used a M1903 and not at least mention the possibility he used a M1917 is a little presumptuous on his part, to say the least - especially given his rather thin credentials on the M1903!
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 09-04-2013 at 06:51.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Douglass View Post
    1)

My experience with this statement is that Andy York his son asked me to sell him an 03 just like his daddy used to display at the family home in Pall Mall TN. I did but the rifle ended up with a friend of his who liked it more!!
    I wonder what Andy got for that 1903 Springfield that came out of the York home? Or what price his friend might then place upon it to another? LOL. Just joshing! But I'm reminded of Bat Masterson periodicaly buying Several SAA's from Colt Firearms Co. only to sell each one again as Bat Masterson's Colt for a profitable sum. Pretty ingenious actually.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-04-2013 at 07:27.