Default 1903a3 reference books

I just got two more 03a3's, a remington and a smith corona. Both are old dcm purchases, and mostly very very good shape. I would like to bring them back to correct specs, but I don't know what that would be. The rem. bbl is marked 9-43 with a serial # of 4,069,xxx and the smith is 5-43, and ser. # 3,683,xxx. They came to me without stocks or front sight blades. I haven't taken the bolts apart yet. The barrels appear unfired.
    I would like to find a definative work on these guns so that I might learn a little more about the. I have three springfield 1903 rifles, and Brophy's book on them. Is there anything similar written on the 03a3's Thanks, Tom

There is not a reference book just on M1903A3s. Canfield (2004 ed.) and Clark Campbell's books mention the 03A3 in some detail. Neither, unfortunately, is cheap.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Oh well, I was hoping someone had written something explaining markings and correct parts. I will look at those two if I can find them, but price will be a consideration. Thanks for the information. Tom

Another option is to give a detailed rundown on the two rifles on this forum, together with pictures. WE'll be glad to look them over and tell you what you have.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

From the information I have at hand it appears that both actions likely have their original barrels. As Rick suggested closeup pictures of the actions and any markings posted to these pages will no doubt get you the answers you need.

Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 02-22-2013 at 09:36.

If I can get someone to show me how to do that, I will. The Rem barrel is a two groove, and the S-C is a four groove. The Rem bolt is marked SA and U with a punch mark on the bottom of the handle, and HD 26 on the top. It shows more wear than the action. There is also a 0 on the top of the saftey lug. The S-C is marked with a V on the top of the bolt handle and a 1 with the punch mark on the bottom.It appears new. How would I tell what stock would be appropriate for them ? The Rem has a green hue finish on it, while the SC has a darker finish, almost black.

Quote Originally Posted by tom hargrove View Post
    . . . . The S-C is marked with a V on the top of the bolt handle and a 1 with the punch mark on the bottom.It appears new. . . . . .
    Sounds like MAYBE the SC bolt is correct! (What you say is a "V", may be a poorly-struck "X".)

Is there a "S" on the bottom-side of the EXTRACTOR . . . . near the boss for the extractor collar? (Remove the bolt from the receiver and turn the bolt over to see.) --Jim

There are about three ways to tell a S/C stock from a Remington, if the original markings are present:

1) The "circled P" proof stamp aft of the trigger guard on a S/C is 1/2" in diameter, not 7/16" like the Remington

2) On the subinspection marks just forward of the trigger guard - one of them is a diamond on an S/C stock

3) look at the forward recess for the lower band spring (the long flat piece of metal that holds the lower band in place). On the S/C the forward end of the recess is rounded; on the Remington, the cut is squared off.
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by tom hargrove View Post
    Oh well, I was hoping someone had written something explaining markings and correct parts. I will look at those two if I can find them, but price will be a consideration. Thanks for the information. Tom
    IMHO the Canfield book would serve you well. Shows the cartouche marks for both the Rem and S-C 03A3

I will try to find it. Thanks for the info. Tom