Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll disagree with those that say save your money. If your like me, it is a lot easier to spend $250 than to save $900. I recommend to anyone buying their first type of milsurp to start with a CHEAP one. You CAN NOT go wrong with a $250 shooter. You will learn about it and be more familiar with it. And learn what to look for when you do want to spend close to a grand on an original rifle.

What if you save a grand and end up spending it on a gun that is really worth $500? That is not possible with a $250 shooter. Buy the shooter and some books. Educate yourself first.

Mike

I admit the Krag was the ONLY firearm I "practiced what I preached" - i.e. learned about the rifle, asked questions, etc., before purchasing one (I now have five)

I would spend $250 on a rifle ONLY if there was a reasonable chance of saving $650-900 for a better model. My thought would be to enlist the help of some "Kraggies" and see if you can find something more in the $600 range as a "first rifle". They are out there with some careful looking.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

I'm thinking about a Krag cut down myself for the only reason that is has a low serial number 10516 but it needs everything. So I am fence sitting and studying. What say you guys?

For my part, I really do not see a low number as being of any added value/significance on a cutdown, so, if you are looking for a shooter, I'd look for an 1898, which has some improved parts, and, hopefully, a bit less wear. Besides, if seller has priced the piece higher because of the number, you will be paying an extra premium for nothing in return. Check out www.gunbroker.com there are always plenty of cut-off Krags to choose from.