1. Default Star Carbine Questions

I have looked at a rather nice carbine and would like some opinions on it. Serial number is 210281 with a star. The stock is a carbine stock and near excellent. No cartouche, but has a small letter behind the trigger guard. Rear sight is a Buffington. The breech block is dated 1884 and has near 100% case colors. Overall finish is 90-92%. It is a very nice carbine. Not able to photograph as I do not have possession. I would like opinions from the experts and what kind of a ballpark price it would command. Thanks. Would this be a desirable carbine?

Well, a gun that nice has no business not having a cartouche. Has the stock been sanded so as to be flush with the metal?

The serial number, though rather late (high up) in the "star program", predates the use of 1884 blocks by five years - so, something is not right for "as made".

The starred arms are, of course, mixmasters of a sort, but official mixmasters, and, very specific as to their recipe - in other words - some seeming anomalies are 100% right, but others raise eyebrows.

As to the desirability issue, what do you want it for, appearance, shooting, or as authentic as possible, with an eye to investment?

Rather than throwing out a price which could, for a number of reasons in this particular case, miss the mark, why not tell us what the seller wants? I'll then either recommend yea or nay, or perhaps mezza-mezza. :-)
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-19-2013 at 08:32.

3. Default

Thanks Dick for the reply. I believe this has been taken care of. Seller wants $4500. Selling as an original I guess. The stock has not been sanded, but fits like a glove. I will pass, quickly, on this one, even though it is really nice looking. I would want it for investing-collecting, not shooting. Thanks, again.

You're welcome, and that would be, uhh, a nay!!

Sheesh - sounds like a "big-name" dealer/auction house with an overblown sense of their own importance. That's "Custer period" money, and between 2X-3X what I'd think the piece might be worth in the present buyer's market.