Thread: Old RIA

Question Old RIA

Let's see if anyone can figure this one out:
    RIA receiver 383625 Barrel SA 3-28 Hatcher Holed
    Stock: SA-DAL, 2 Circle P sans serifs proofs on wrist, Fore end tip RI
    Old style checkered butt plate (not n.m. type)
    No picts because I have the rifle torn down for cleaning--headspace good, rifling good,
    but worn muzzle.
    Finish is various dark blue, no park. May be black WWI park, I haven't gotten that far into
    the old, hardened, grease as yet.
    Oh yes, the bolt may be A3 type, but is dark blue with older style lug. Marked F 4 0 at top
    of bent handle.
    I have some ideas on this one but would appreciate you'alls input!

There's a reasonable chance that your rifle's receiver was one of those shipped from RIA to SA in 1926. If so, then the barrel is likely the original barrel and the stock is perhaps the original stock. But, the bolt is a later replacement and the marking atop the handle is probably "BF/40", which identifies the bolt as Springfield Armory mid-WWII production.

A more conclusive identification requires a more extensive description.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Question bolt

Thank you for the information. Your interpretation of the rifle history sounds about
    what I had been thinking. I had a hunch the bolt was a replacement. What would be the
    correct bolt for this rifle? Would it be RIA or SA? I know RIA had NS and somewhat swept
    back handles towards the end, but would SA put in one of those bolts or use a current
    (ie: about 1926) production bolt. B

Quote Originally Posted by wsfbernie View Post
    Thank you for the information. Your interpretation of the rifle history sounds about
    what I had been thinking. I had a hunch the bolt was a replacement. What would be the
    correct bolt for this rifle? Would it be RIA or SA? I know RIA had NS and somewhat swept
    back handles towards the end, but would SA put in one of those bolts or use a current
    (ie: about 1926) production bolt. B
    Any Springfield or Rock Island bolt manufactured prior to 1928 can be considered correct for your rifle, including a casehardened straight handle bolt.

Hope this helps.

J.B.