Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help from a good smith

I have a MKI that was to be rebarreled. Got it back in pieces with another barrel; not the one I PROVIDED. I am looking for someone to put it back together and headspace it maybe put on a new CMP barrel and blue it. It also came back without the rear sight assembly so I need a replacement. Anyone recommend a good smith? Semper Fi

There's always 'ChuckinDenver' who posts here on a regular basis. But it might help if you could identify what local you are located in. There are a number of contributors here who can recommend local 'smiths' if they knew what part of the country we're looking at.

3. Default

A correct Mk1 needs a 1919/1920 barrel. Not sure what you have. Chuckindenver is the right guy.

Dan Stone in Round Lake, Illinois does excellent work on '03s and other milsurps. Everything he has ever done for me or my friends has been absolutely top notch.

DanStoneX@comcast.net

5. Default

Thanks Gents. I am in CT. my MkI is correct in that I have the original barrel but it is a sewer pipe. The rear sight assembly was a replacement. I got the rifle from CMP when the only 03's we could get was by lottery. The bolt is electro penciled and the stock is correct for a mkI. The trigger,sear and cut off are all MKI parts. No one wanted it as a collectable as I offered to trade it straight up for a shooter so I thought to put a new barrel on it to make it a shooter.

you have several choices...find a nice used 1919 1920 dated barrel, and have it installed, find a SA 42 replacement barrel and have it installed,
    or buy a new Criterian barrel through the CMP for 189.00 and have the barrel and sight bases installed.
    or, another 1903 barrel of a mix of dates that would work just fine.
    personally if it were me, and i wanted a good safe barrel to shoot...the Criterian is hard to beat.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Hope you didn't give the guy that did this any money. Sounds like a rip off artist.

8. Default

You could give Orion 7 a try. Tony should be able to do a fine job for you. He is on Long Island NY.
    631 205-1299

9. Default

Tony said he didnt want to work on an 03. Chuck, are you interested in doing the work? I can order the barrel from CMP.

10. Default

Chuck: I also have my eyes on a sporter 03 that may do for the basis of a vintage sniper with the addition of tghat Hi-Lux scope. Do you do that too? Re: to the Guy who didn't finish the job it is a long story