Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best place for 45-70 brass ? Other question on powder?

Just wondering best places for supplies. A friend reloads 45-70 and I want to pick up at least 100 casings maybe some other supplies for it. What black powders should be used although I am sure he has that right I still would like to know. Thanks,,Rick B

Bass Pro Shops sell 45-70 brass. Check them out on line.

4. Default

ANY 2F, 3F, "Cartridge" powder made by Goex, Elefant, Swiss, KIK are all fine. If you don't know what you are doing, http://users.isp.com/aconitum/BPCR%20ReLoading.html this is a pretty good primer.

I haven't loaded up any BP loads for a few years, but had fine results with 500 grain RN bullets sized .458 and .459 with typical (soft) BP lubes (SPG, Lyman BP, etc.). Otherwise and mostly, I just use moderate smokeless loads.

I can say from personal as well as anecdotal evidence that Elephant Brand Powder, if it still exists is significantly less powerful than Goex, Schuetzen or Swiss powders.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Thank you for all the help. Rick B

7. Default

Goex CTG. is great if you can find it. Avoid Remington brass. Winchester, Federal, and Starline are great.

Quote Originally Posted by QCI Springfield View Post
    Goex CTG. is great if you can find it. Avoid Remington brass. Winchester, Federal, and Starline are great.
    As far as I know Goex discontinued the cartridge powder.

9. Default

Crumbs, I better conserve my last can! :O

I think 45-70 brass has gotten a lot better since I was a kid. The case head has a lot more metal in it, no matter what brand. Maybe that's part of the reason you gotta work at getting 70 gr. of BP into a load. I see 45-70 in bulk at most gun shops and sporting goods stores that handle reloading stuff. Like Snake River/ACE in Pokatello or Black Sheep in Lewiston or Coeur d'Alene.

jn