Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VUL TEE

From what I can tell, the company name is Vultee Aircraft, not Aviation.

now how about this.... via wikipedia (take it or leave it) "The first aircraft flew in September 1939 piloted by Vance Breese,[1] and was assigned registration number NX21755" Notice the last 4 digits of the serial number compared to the rifle?

Maybe it was a cheap retirement gift on 1/7/55 for the guy that nobody really liked!

For discussion purposes only of course......

What would inspire someone to use "Vul Tee", why not Kellogs Frosted Flakes? I mean really, the time to grind, stamp, waste paint etc, just doesn't seem to add up for the price that things going to fetch, likely what it is at now. You could sell the parts and pieces for $300 bucks on flea bay and throw the receiver in the trash and not incur the time and liability for a couple bucks. Even Jack has to know who he got it from and if the original serial number was ground off and this one put on, wouldn't that leave some what of a trail? I totaly agree, Jacks story is cock and bull though.
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Kurt,
    In spite of my flippant post above yours, I tend to agree with your line of reasoning despite the lack of direct evidence. It seems very farfetched that the rifle was assembled and modified with fraudulent intent to just get rid of a worthless rifle. I really do think there is a legitimate story somewhere. The Vultee connection seems too random for just fraud.

edit: by the way, what year did Nat-Ord start making cast receivers?
    Last edited by Allen Humphrey; 02-21-2013 at 12:13.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
    Kurt,
    In spite of my flippant post above yours, I tend to agree with your line of reasoning despite the lack of direct evidence. It seems very farfetched that the rifle was assembled and modified with fraudulent intent to just get rid of a worthless rifle. I really do think there is a legitimate story somewhere. The Vultee connection seems too random for just fraud.

edit: by the way, what year did Nat-Ord start making cast receivers?
    20 years after Vultee Aircraft changed to Consolidated. This rifle is phony

SPRINGFIELD RIFLE CALIBRE .30 MODEL 1903A3
    NATIONAL ORDNANCE INC., SOUTH EL MONTE, CALIFORNIA

YEAR SERIAL NUMBERS QUANTITY
    1965-1966 6,000,001 to 6,030,000 2500
    Introduction of a New Type of Receiver Material
    1967 5,000,001 to 5,003,000 3000
    1968 5,000,001 to 5,008,000 5000
    1969 5,008,001 to 5,014,000 6000
    1970 5,014,001 to 5,020,000 6000
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vultee_Aircraft

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=224493

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    For discussion purposes only of course......

What would inspire someone to use "Vul Tee", why not Kellogs Frosted Flakes? I mean really, the time to grind, stamp, waste paint etc, just doesn't seem to add up for the price that things going to fetch, likely what it is at now. You could sell the parts and pieces for $300 bucks on flea bay and throw the receiver in the trash and not incur the time and liability for a couple bucks. Even Jack has to know who he got it from and if the original serial number was ground off and this one put on, wouldn't that leave some what of a trail? I totaly agree, Jacks story is cock and bull though.
    Possibly inspired by the same reasons serial numbers are ground off many guns, they are stolen.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 02-21-2013 at 12:59.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thanks for those dates Phillip! They sure don't help Jack's story. Whoever did it, should have at least picked Boeing, Republic, or North American so the dates would match. Better planes too

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    20 years after Vultee Aircraft changed to Consolidated. This rifle is phony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vultee_Aircraft

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=224493

Possibly inspired by the same reasons serial numbers are ground off many guns, they are stolen.
    I don't think there's any question about the phoneyness of Jacks story regarding the gun, but still contend there is a story to go with it beyond a stolen thrown together rifle done to get what? $400 bucks?

Allen, I didn't find your remark in anyway flippent. Very interesting your connecting the N number and serial. And my pick would be; Piper with a serial number P18A. LOL

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

A little research indicates that Vultee Aviation was located in Nashville, TN, and, amongst other things, manufactured wings during the 1970's for Lockheed L-1011 Tri-Star aircraft. Apparently they were originally part of Consolidated Vultee Aircraft (Later Convair) and perhaps became a separate subsidiary or entity. The markings appear genuine.

For what it's worth.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 02-21-2013 at 03:31.

There are several threads on going about truly interesting rifles....this is not one of them

nothing about that rifle is genuine...the paint, the markings ect...humped up POS.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.