Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VUL TEE

1. Default VUL TEE

never seen one of these

Yes, Very interesting! I look forward to what I will learn from discussion of this.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11750346/

3. Default

Vultee Aircraft Corp. Later merged into Consolidated Aviation Co. A company gun.

Why does it look like a cast receiver, or is that paint?
    Last edited by Randy A; 02-17-2013 at 09:08.

Randy, because it is a cast receiver. Makes you wonder about any connection to National Ord, directly, or the process.

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Vultee became Consolidated-Vultee in 1943. It is possible 03-A3s could have been supplied to them for guard guns, and even re numbered by some bright spark at the company. Being an aircraft company, not gun finishers, they may have painted the receiver. But I would not expect the paint to have held up that well over so many years. Close examination of the receiver should tell if it is a postwar cast receiver or WW 2 Remington or SC. I would suggest, if genuine, it should likely have all the same manufacturer parts.

It may be a weapon that walked off and was humped up to look like non-U.S. property.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 02-18-2013 at 05:15.

7. Default

It sure looks like a cast receiver in the auction pictures. I did some Googling and came up dry on the rifles, they had some interesting planes.

From Jack the Dogs description;

"Since all of the standard military production was needed to arm front line troops, these rifles were assembled with surplus/rejected military parts built on a non-military cast receiver. This particular rifle appears to have been used by Vultee Aviation. Vultee Aviation produced the BT-13 which was the basic trainer flown by most American pilots during World War II. Vultee later merged with Consolidated Aircraft Corporation to form Convair. The receiver is marked "VUL TEE AVIA." and serial numbered 1755. The receiver is obviously made from a casting and has some surface porosity and visible casting lines."

Pretty odd duck

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    From Jack the Dogs description;

"Since all of the standard military production was needed to arm front line troops, these rifles were assembled with surplus/rejected military parts built on a non-military cast receiver. This particular rifle appears to have been used by Vultee Aviation. Vultee Aviation produced the BT-13 which was the basic trainer flown by most American pilots during World War II. Vultee later merged with Consolidated Aircraft Corporation to form Convair. The receiver is marked "VUL TEE AVIA." and serial numbered 1755. The receiver is obviously made from a casting and has some surface porosity and visible casting lines."

Pretty odd duck

Kurt
    I wonder how long it took Jack's dog to come up with that fiction.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Yesterday I was sort of taken in by the story, but inconsistencies nagged at me. Like the uniform finish on top of some incredibly battered parts.

Where are the experts who can tell so much from seeing the bottom of the receiver? There is such a shot in the listing - the front guard screw hole looks kind of stripped out in that shot, too.