Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

The big question I was asked was who made the sporter, a question I just cannot answer. Between 1910 when they started sporterizing the 1903 and 1940 there were many folks doing that work with varying degrees talent and artistic ability. There were many regional makers who were unknown out side of their area but never the less did fine work.

The engraving is unusual in that there seems to be more etching than engraving, another unknown.

2. Default

Here is another 'Unknown" maker that I nicknamed "Chicago-Guy" because three of the four known rifle by his have been traced back to Chicago. One thing that makes this unique is the carving and the engraving were done by the same person.

3. Default

Michael: Have you been able to determine if the headless cocking piece is custom or NM?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Calif Steve View Post
    Michael: Have you been able to determine if the headless cocking piece is custom or NM?
    I understand that it is NM with reverse safety so a later addition. How much of the bolt is newer and how much is older I have not learned, the rifle is a long ways away ;-).
    Last edited by Michael Petrov; 02-20-2013 at 09:16.

Stunning rifles Micheal as is your majical photography. On the first rifle, for some reason, the bolt handle has a familiarity, I've seen that somewhere.

Regards

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

6. Default

"The bolt handle has a familiarity, I've seen that somewhere"

Normally when we see a flat bolt like that we think of the German / Austrian makers. I have seen these flat bolt on rifles by Kirkwood of Boston but this is not a Kirkwood. Many hunters on the East coast hunted in Canada on horseback and carried their rifle in a scabbard so they wanted it flat a possible. When Kirkwood did them they also used a bolt peep as well.