Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Idiot

Bill, Actually, I did not fire these initially. I got my mother-in-law to do it.

Thanks to all for the great feedback. Brantman

2. Default

Domed primer are old Winchester Staynless primers. Many original WW2 M1 carbines have had the feed ramp polished before they left the factory.

The carbine does not feed HP bullets well at all but it sure does feed soft point rounds and in normal ranges its as good as a HP round. Works just fine on critters with four legs or two. As the others have said leave the carbine alone. You can polish the feed ramp just lightly but that's it. Johnny is right the primers sound like Winchesters from awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by Brantman View Post
    Bill, Actually, I did not fire these initially. I got my mother-in-law to do it.

Thanks to all for the great feedback. Brantman
    You could get your mother-in-law to shoot it? I have a hell of a time just getting mine to start my car for me.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

My late M-I-L would not have hesitated. She was an outdoor gal; camping, canoeing, fishing, etc.... She didn't hunt, but I couldn't hold that against her. She did most everything else. I married her daughter who is the same way. Both of them would rather be washing dishes out of a pail in the woods than have the newest fanciest dishwasher that $ could buy.

6. Default

Let me tell ya. Years ago I was given some reloaded carbine ammo from a friends father in law. The first shot sounded like a 300 magnum going off. All the guys at the range were looking and saying what was that? I should of quit then and there but I didnt. The second shot sounded the same way only the round blew up to. A piece of brass skiped off my head above my safety glasses and cut me pretty good and put a nasty bruise on me . I was bleeding like Jake Lamatta. Any way I went home pulled some heads off and discovered 2 different types of powder in the case. There was a piece of brass melted inside of the extractor. I got it out and the gun was ok. I dont shoot anyones reloads with out knowing whats in them!!! Just my 2 cents.

7. Default

Years ago most reloading presses came with 2 primer seating stems for reloading both round and flat primers. Haven't seen any of the round primers in years.

I can't imagine your seating die not having enough adjustment to seat the bullets lower. With the seating die bottomed out on the shell holder, there should be enough adjustment in the stating stem to almost push the bullets all the way into the case. Sometimes hollow points will feed better if they are seated just a tad deeper than regular RN bullets.

+1 on Johnny P's comments. If you are going to pull down these rounds get a Hornady Cam- Loc bullet puller and the proper collet. I've salvaged thousands of rounds and it's fast once you get it set right. It's a very fast way to pull down ammo. Guys at the range give me a lot of ammo to pull down.

9. Default

A number of years I was given reloads for the Carbine. The first two or three didn,t fire at all , good hit on the primers but no bang.
    I took the Carbine away from my face and and only held it down range well a big bang and the oprod / slide disengaged. Cost me a slide
    , I shoot lefty so it was a cheap lesson to staty away from uknown reloads.

I only shoot my reloads and I don't let others shoot mine reloading is personal thing. I have had people who know I reload want me to reload for them I tell them they wont save a dime and my reloads will cost them more than factory that stops them every time.