Thread: Barrel markings

1. Default Barrel markings

I was looking at a 1.4 million SA 1903 today and the barrel was marked

SA
    A

There was no month. The 05 was centered. What is the "A" for?

Thank you.

The '03 you have was almost surely made of parts taken from a rifle with a low number receiver that was scrapped. The salvaged parts were then built onto a new receiver originally manufactured as a spare. This was done regularly in the 1930s and during WWII. The "A" indicates that during an overhaul of the original low number rifle the barrel was found to be "in spec." and not replaced.

I have a 1.3 million rifle with an Avis 18 barrel and a bunch of very early parts that predate that Avis barrel. It came to be in the same way. Back then the 'gubmint had more of a waste not want not attitude than it does today.
    Last edited by Art; 02-16-2013 at 05:35.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matt K. View Post
    I was looking at a 1.4 million SA 1903 today and the barrel was marked

SA
    A

There was no month. The 05 was centered. What is the "A" for?

Thank you.
    You have a rod bayonet rifle barrel that was taken of a 30-03 RB rifle, shortened, and rechambered for the 30-06. As Art said, at a later date, it was inspected and deemed fit for continued use, thus the "A" stamp. The 05 stands for 1905, when the retrofit of the RB's began. The "SA" stands for Springfield Armory. There should be other stamps on the barrel for various inspectors, and a steel lot code stamping consisting of a letter followed by several numbers (designates the manufacturer/contract number). Hope this helps.

jt

4. Default

Was this rifle originally built from spare parts in 1935, or rebuilt later for WW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt K. View Post
    Was this rifle originally built from spare parts in 1935, or rebuilt later for WW2?
    Built on a new receiver with used parts is probably a little better term than "rebuilt." My guess is it could have been either but I would lean toward WWII. That's just a SWAG though.
    Last edited by Art; 02-17-2013 at 12:44.

6. Default

Good chance it was a National Guard turn-in for repair. Barrel was removed and placed on a new receiver and then returned to the National Guard. Prior to WWII, but no real idea, just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    You have a rod bayonet rifle barrel that was taken of a 30-03 RB rifle, shortened, and rechambered for the 30-06. As Art said, at a later date, it was inspected and deemed fit for continued use, thus the "A" stamp. The 05 stands for 1905, when the retrofit of the RB's began. The "SA" stands for Springfield Armory. There should be other stamps on the barrel for various inspectors, and a steel lot code stamping consisting of a letter followed by several numbers (designates the manufacturer/contract number). Hope this helps.

jt
    Jim,

The barrel may or may not be a rod bayonet barrel. Statistically speaking, it's more likely a 1905 Modification barrel.

J.B.

Southeast Louisiana, three blocks from the Mighty Mississippi.

Hey old friends, Jim and The Professor. Have SA number 1,367,742. SA '05 A marked barrel. Front sight stud is pinned at the front. Accordin' to the Professor's scarce book about the 1905-1910 alterations, this would have originally been a rod bayonet barrel modified for the thirty ought six. With the .20" hole at the rear of the stud. Bore is beautiful on this rifle, as is the scant stock, if a scant stock can ever be beautiful. Marked AAG, Augusta Arsenal. Never issued after bein' put together as it is. Perfect finish. Would guess a WWII assembled rifle. Early S marked bolt lug.

Lancebear

Southeast Louisiana, three blocks from the Mighty Mississippi.

Off topic, but am still noted as a "Very Senior Member" - OFC. "Old Farts Club". No complaints, proud of that...just wonder why? Jim is certainly an older "OFC".

LB