Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Krag action is plenty strong so long as you stay within the pressure range it was originally designed to handle.

I agree with that. I'm having a 6mm Rem 700 takeoff barrel turned down and threaded for an 1896 action. Finished cartridge will be a 6mm/303British Ackely Improved with a long neck that will have about the same capacity as a .243 Win. A bit below most of the starting loads for the .243 will be max loads for the Krag. With the Ackley configuration I'll have to do some work on the receiver and side plate to get them to feed, but I already have dies, reamer, brass and a bullet mold.

I have a nicely sporterized 99 carbine stock that's cut for the 96's bolt channel and the barrel will finish out at about 22". My new coyote rifle to replace the 6x45 AR I recently sold.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Concerning Boyd's Krag stocks...I have used their stocks to restore many vintage rifles and have always been pleased. I read the reports about how horrible their Krag stocks were and to be honest I was a bit skeptical about the negative reviews. I should have heeded everyone's warnings! The first stock I received was not even completed...the wood was just "hogged" out, barrel channel was off-center, the cut for the band spring was not there, etc... I could go on and on. It was so bad that I took photos and sent them to customer service. They sent me a new stock which was not much better, but I had to pay the shipping fees to ship the first stock to me and then back to Boyd's. Then, I also had to pay shipping to me for the second stock!!!!! Their customer service attitude was pretty much "too bad." I will never buy another Boyd's stock as long as I have any other option.

daveboy

Avoid the repros from Bob's Gun Shop too. I haven't tried them, but here's a possible source: http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/Gunstocks.php I know they leave a lot in the middle that needs taken down. One of our members visited them in the past and reported good fit, with some work needing done.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

5. Default

Thanks, I'll try them.

Can anyone date my reciever?
    481,000 seems to be 1905 according to a list I found. I was hoping I actually had a 19th century rifle in my possession.

No, more like 1903.

Supposedly a VERY small number may have been assembled in 1904, but nothing (in the way of newly-produced service rifles) after that.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by daveboy View Post
    Concerning Boyd's Krag stocks...I have used their stocks to restore many vintage rifles and have always been pleased. I read the reports about how horrible their Krag stocks were and to be honest I was a bit skeptical about the negative reviews. I should have heeded everyone's warnings! The first stock I received was not even completed...the wood was just "hogged" out, barrel channel was off-center, the cut for the band spring was not there, etc... I could go on and on. It was so bad that I took photos and sent them to customer service. They sent me a new stock which was not much better, but I had to pay the shipping fees to ship the first stock to me and then back to Boyd's. Then, I also had to pay shipping to me for the second stock!!!!! Their customer service attitude was pretty much "too bad." I will never buy another Boyd's stock as long as I have any other option.

daveboy
    It's difficult to describe the feeling you get when you take THAT out of the box.
    In addition to what Daveboy has already listed, the sideplate area was solid wood, the buttplate area had to be shaped and inletted for the tang, rough grooves routed for triggerguard and butt swivel, rough shallow groove for grasping grooves. No screw holes drilled, but that was a good thing, considering... As stated, you'd do better to start out with a walnut plank.

8. Default

I can confirm alot of the horror stories about Boyds vintage stocks. None of my swivel mounts fit in their channels, the sideplate section still needs to be cut out and like Phil said, maybe 1/2 of the holes for the screws were drilled out.
    Butt end is about 1/4in too wide on each side of the butt plate, so thats gonna require a good deal of sanding. As well as sanding of the toe of the stock.

I like the color, thats about it. It'll match the 1901 handguard repro.
    This will be the last rifle I build and what a rifle it will be...
    My 1903 will be jealous.