Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Project: converting a carbine to long rifle

I bought a 481000 Model 1898 Carbine (SA) a month ago that I now plan on rebarreling with the 30in barrel and getting an 1898 Boyds stock for it.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produc...0827&cat=1227#
    Ultimate goal is a match rifle.

Im assuming the reciever will take the longer barrel.

Go right ahead as you do not have a real carbine but a cut down rifle. A real 98 carbine would be worth 2-3 times (maybe more, only 5000 were made) the value of a rifle and I'm sure no one would recommend converting a carbine to a rifle. I'm sure the rifle barrel would fit, even if it was a carbine.

what's your stock like? I'd rather stretch out a stock that has been cut down than use a boyd stock. at least that way some of the original lineage remains. My .02 I'd even go so far as to purchase a good Springfield stock and stretching that out if the one you already have is butchered beyond use. Especialy since you want a "match rifle" and not a collector rifle.

I did exactly what you are proposing and I ended up with a very nice rifle.

Alas, this rifle is gone now.
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 02-16-2013 at 03:33.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I've heard horror stories with regard to stocks from Boyds... and at the very least, you're looking at a lot of sanding and carving to get everything to fit properly. Mark's got the best idea... that of grafting a new fore-stock onto your existing stock. Many have done it!

As for the barrel, you should have no problems installing a new full length barrel. I'm no expert, but I don't think there's a difference between the receivers used for carbines or rifles.

Paul

+1 for a graft - really the ONLY way to go, unless your rear section is no good.

I don't think there's a difference between the receivers used for carbines or rifles.

None, except some of the carbine receivers have Model 1899 on them. Even those could be made into rifles. I'd go with a CMP barrel, just for the stronger steel.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 02-16-2013 at 08:11.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Grafting would work unless the current stock is an original carbine stock. I would not graft that.

Amen to that!

I have re-stocked a couple of Krags in my day and I'm here to tell you it is one of the hardest actions to fit a stock for than you'll ever encounter. Unless you've done stock inletting and fitting before, you are in for a lot of work. If you are set on doing this, you may want to check with other stock suppliers, such as Fajen or Bishop (or whatever they call themselves now-a-days). They used to sell Krag stocks that were fairly easy to fit, plus you could get them with a pistol grip which makes for a much better "target" type stock. Not to mention better looking as well.

Just my opinion which is worth exactly how much you are paying me.

ray

10. Default

Im sorry to say, most of my vintage rifle stocks are Boyds repros. I've experienced a few minor problems here and there but nothing major. I have Springfield Armory rifles going back to 1898 with 21st century stocks, so what can you do...

Mark, thats a good job in putting that Krag together.

I'll consider the pistol grip stock. The one I have now is worth a bit more than scrap wood with that crack.

Should I worry about the fact that the bolt only has a single locking lug as far as loads go?
    I only plan on the basic 35-40grs of 4895 with a 148gr. and whatever RNs I can find in heavier weights.