Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krag Slings

Talking Krag Slings

I'm now in the market for a sling for my 1898. I'd like it to be a 1903 version, but I'll use a 1907 as long as it's acceptable for use in Vintage matches. I'd really like to keep the cost below $50 bucks too...

I looked at Turners, but they didn't have any 1903 slings, and the 1907 slings are a little too high in price right now.

I welcome all suggestions...

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Default

IMA USA has a 1907 sling for $20
    http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-1907-wwii...and-sling.html

Can you tell me anything about the pre 1907 slings? Were they match capable?

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

Was there a leather version for the Krag that didnt have the loop?

I believe the first sling for Krags were trap door slings. Couple of mine had them when I bought them----many years ago!

Cousin of my Dad gave me a Krag sling to try and refurbished due to dry rot. Couldn't save it, as I recall it was length of leather with a frog on the upper end and sling loop and just a
    slit with small hole that accepted a brass "dumbbell" to hold the "butt" end together.

Blog Entries

Try"ssfirearms.com". They sell the early 45/70 and 30/40 sling with one claw and the brass button plus two keepers. Price is $25.00 in their 2012 catalog. They are good quality items. This is what I have on all five of my Krags.
    Best regards, S.O.H.1898

You guys all ROCK... Thanks much!

In addition to the sling, I'm going to get an oiler and cleaning rod set from DeChristopher too. Woohoo!

Went to the Michigan Antique Arms Collectors show today and picked up an original 1907 sling in fairly good condition, along with an original cleaning rod set and an oiler! WOOHOO!!! I also picked up a 1902 bayonet... but without the scabbard... so now I'm in the market for a decent scabbard.

Paul

I don't think the repro Kerr sling linked to above is up to the stress of competition. Least the one I got isn't, rivets are pulling at the cloth. The slings draw up nice and look pretty. All the Krags that the local American Legion post when I was a kid had original Kerr slings on them.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson