Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2 MOA is the difference between a lethal hit and clean miss at 300 yds! Oh, and John, this forum is ALL about target shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kepler View Post
    2 MOA is the difference between a lethal hit and clean miss at 300 yds! Oh, and John, this forum is ALL about target shooting!
    I had a favorite uncle who fought all the way across Europe with the 3rd Army in WWII. He had an interesting observation on this. He said a bullet that will wound a big man, lets say 6'2" and 200 pounds will miss a small man, lets say 5'7" and 145 pounds. A bullet that kills a big man will often only wound a small man.

I think every countries military rifles are capable of about 2 moa at a minimum as far as mechanical accuracy goes. Some are better, in fact a few are a lot better. There are a lot of other factors though, the quality of the sights, trigger, and ammunition come to mind. Of course the biggest variable is the skill of the individual rifleman. If the old boy can't shoot straight it doesn't matter how good his rifle is and shooting at living human beings who are moving and shooting back is a significant variable with this part.

And John Kepler is right. This forum is about target shooting usually with military or military type rifles.
    Last edited by Art; 03-03-2013 at 09:25.

Quote Originally Posted by emmagee1917 View Post
    John , a question. If the difference is ergonomics , why would going from .30 to .22 remove it as the positions still differ. Now , JITs make more sense to me as the reduced recoil would tend to remove the difference in gun jump.
    Chris
    Ergonomically, the biggest difference is there's little change in side to side and up and down eye position relative to the rear sight, even with the different weld. With a Garand or similarly profiled rifle stock, there's a difference in both due to the taper of the stock from butt to wrist and the angle of the comb.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson