Default Found 03-A4. Need advice

Hi

I have been studying 03s for years and own a LN and an A3, but know very little about A4s. Just now, I was shown photos of a Remington marked 03-A3, but the receiver ring markings are on the left side of the ring, and serial number is on the right side. S/N is Z4001055. Barrel is marked RA 9-43. It has a Redfield mount with no rings or scope. The bolt is bent for scope. All parts appear to be "R" marked. The left side of what appears to be an unsanded scant stock is marked with a sharp cartouche, "RIA, EB." The circled P on the grip is sharp as well, and actually does not appear to have any finish down in the stamp. There are what appear to be rebuild marks on the stock, but they did not show up clearly in the photos. The finish appears to be a uniform grey-green with no corrosion and is still covered in cosmoline. The stock wrist is cracked, but appears to be arsenal repaired with two brass pins.

What do I have gentlemen? It appears to be to be a very nice, arsenal repaired 03-A4 to me, but I don't know enough about them to be certain. I want to make an offer and I don't want to be way out of the ballpark. I know that a lot depends on bore condition, etc..., but without you folks seeing photos, what do you think?

BTW, I will definitely hold and inspect up close before making a definite offer, but I need some idea now.

Thanks,
    daveboy

2. Default

Pics please
    If it is all USGI parts 1500-2500 the stock being cracked hurts it to the tune of 3 to 5 hundred bucks.

Make sure there are no welds in the cutoff and on the receiver where the barrel mates. The cut out for the bolt is another point. I do not have a picture with me of the proper cut out and maybe someone can post one. Does the rifle have a scope base and scope? Pictures of the stock and bolt will help in the evaluation.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

It appears to be all USGI. I wish I could post the pics, but when showed them I was not near a scanner and I still haven't held the rifle in my hands. I do know, however, that it is not a recovered drill rifle because I looked for that. I did tell the seller that I wanted to inspect before making a definite offer, so if there is anything else obvious I should look for then I would appreciate any input. I have a question though...again I am not an expert on A4s, but I thought they were all mounted in a scant stock, but am I correct in this assumption?

Many early ones were in C stocks, most later ones were Scants. The one you describe would be correctly in a Scant. It's most likely a rebuild per your description so the devil is in the details. Barrel condition would be one, correct R parts in either park or blue would be another. You'd want to check the throat and muzzle measurements. Also, it shouldn't have a front sight band installed and the slot should be parkerized. Without pictures, that's about all anyone can help. If every thing is good to go, the stock adjustment ($) will be the tough part and as Johnny says, spendy and not easily found. You have to deduct for that now or later....it follows the gun.

Good luck!

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

Attached is a photo-guide for A4's. If you can take pics of the marked areas a good judgement can be made.

Are there any letter stamps in the magazine cutoff ? Or on the underside of the stock forward of the magazine box?
    Finally is there a punch mark on the under side of the barrel roughly between the front sight cuts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jgaynor; 02-13-2013 at 09:25.

pics or it didnt happen
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Well, I parted with cash tonight. I held the rifle in my hands and couldn't resist.

Everything is still covered in cosmoline. I was allowed to seperate the works from the wood before puchase and it is definitely not a recovered drill rifle. There is a punch mark and P on the bottom side of the muzzle. Headspace is very tight, and muzzle passed the bullet test. The front screw on the scope mount is staked and has what appears to be 2 or 3 shims between the mount and receiver. I actually met the buyer tonight and learned that his neighbor's grandfather owned this rifle. Paw died about 20 years ago, and the neighbor gave it to the owner. Owner just fired it for the first time and thought the recoil and ability to hit the target (duh...no sights) made this too much rifle for him. I will be gone for the weekend, but will post pics soon.

BTW....$800 for what appears to be an almost unfired A4 since RIA rebuild I thought was a great deal. I told him that with the scope and original stock would be worth much more, but he jumped on the offer with the understanding that if I ever offered to sell, he would have first shot!

daveboy

you stole it....great deal
    Last edited by chuckindenver; 02-15-2013 at 07:14.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Take a very close look at the stock. The left side just above and behind the trigger. Sometimes the inspection marks are faint.