Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Con sidering buying a buba'd Remington Mosin Nagant

I have an opportunity to buy a 1918 Remington Nagant for $100.00.
    It has been totally buba'd...barrel cut down with a civilian front sight installed and the stock totally desecrated, useless actually....absolutely no military aspect left to it.
    However the barrel, original, has a pristine bore. Why I am interested is to make a custom sporter out of it. I would need a new stock and scope mount. Anybody know where I can get them.

Question is...is $100.00 too much to pay for the bareled action?
    Thanks,
    Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Christian View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a 1918 Remington Nagant for $100.00.
    It has been totally buba'd...barrel cut down with a civilian front sight installed and the stock totally desecrated, useless actually....absolutely no military aspect left to it.
    However the barrel, original, has a pristine bore. Why I am interested is to make a custom sporter out of it. I would need a new stock and scope mount. Anybody know where I can get them.

Question is...is $100.00 too much to pay for the bareled action?
    Thanks,
    Mickey
    Check Brownell's item # 019-000-056WB for a spoter stock, J&G Sales for the "Insta-Kit scope rail base for MN". $100 too much to pay for the barreled action? Well, you can buy one of those military refurbished MN's at any gun show for about that kind of money, and you get the entire gun. That price usually includes the bayonet and some other stuff too.
    Are you looking to simply make a winter project gun for the fun of it, or trying to make something to take afield? If it's the latter, you can probably buy a Mossberg ATR for $300 @ WalMart if you catch a sale. That will be cheaper than trying to make something out of the Mosin by the you get done, and it will shoot as least as well, or better.

Actually that should read "sporter stock", not spoter stock. And "..by the TIME you done". It's been a long day.

kcw is spot on. Why waste a $100.00.

A Mosin is a poor choice for a sporter anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    A Mosin is a poor choice for a sporter anyway!
    Ok, I'll bite, disregarding the fact that a sporter is a poor choice in the first place, What makes a Mosin a worse choice than normal.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Split rear bridge makes mounting scope a pain. not much can be done with the safety, trigger upgrades are pricey compared to Mauser's and while we are on Mauser's more stock options more trigger options more barrel options just more options with a Mauser. Oh and I agree unless you just want a project they are money pits and I have done a few Mauser's and one Mosin sporter.

Well....I did get it for $100.00. For multiple reasons. I know it is not the primo choice to make a sporter, but I am a tinkerer. It is an effective caliber...the barrel is in excellent condition, so should shoot real good...having had several MN's I finally warmed up to them some...I have recently been intrigued by sporterized '91 patern rifles (also have a nice '91 Peruvian but don't want to butcher it)...this MN has already been butchered...the rear sight base is intact so a scout mount/scope should do fine (or maybe a 1x gunsight of some sort)...composit stocks are readibly available and can be doctored up...I can weld a new bolt handle on...the barrel and receiver are Remington...have done many Mausers...safety remains a problem, but I have seen them modified with a ring similar to the Swiss rifles. I know I would never be able to sell it for what it will cost me, but I can buy what I need piece at a time as I chose.

Now a question. Is the date of the receiver the same as the barrel? I would think so, being US mfg. The bottom of the tang has numbers all over it, but not in any decernable order.

Thanks for all your responses. I do some weird stuff sometimes just because I take a shine to one idea or another.
    Regards,
    Mickey

9. Default

Please check carefully before shooting this-- a large number of these Remington Mosin Nagants were bored out to 30-06 ( I think by Bannerman's). I once bought one myself and the dealer didn't mention the conversion-- and the barrels wasn't marked to reflect the new chambering --I brought it back. I don't believe it's safe to shoot modern 30-06 rounds in these.

Thanks for the heads up. Just checked and it is still 7.62x54.
    Mickey