Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nice Rem. 03A3 Found, Need Apx. Value

It's a nice one, all R marked parts, stock is a little dinged up but not sanded with correct acceptance marks and no rebuild stamp; the stock is the most beat part about it. Parkerizing is 98% except the top edge of the butt plate which has light surface rust, the lower swivel has a light amount of surface rust as well, I think both areas would clean up OK. Barrel is a RA 9/43 and it's really dirty, but not dark. If I had to guess, this one sat in a closet for a long time. Overall, I'd rate it 96-97% as issued.

The tag was $1400, I offered $900 hoping for a counter/recounter to get it for about $1000-$1050, dealer said it was on consignment and he'd ask the owner about my offer; it's been on consignment since 12/4/12.

What's a realistic ballpark figure on it? Is $1000-$1100 too much?

I do not have pictures...

TIA for your thoughts.

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 02-11-2013 at 04:07.

Jay
    It is so hard to tell for sure without pictures but from your description I would say 900 is top dollar. Spend a couple hours looking at recent completed gbroker auctions to get a better feel.

3. Default

I would like to see a photo or two. Just off the top, I would not pay $900.00 with a little bit of rust. Stock is dinged up? No, too much money. I guess $650.00? Something like that.

Seems like the milsurp rifles on consignment in local shops are generally too high. I think typically because the use the bluebook values incorrectly. They always seem to miss the asterixes at the bottom of the page thay say to decrease value by a certain % for condition of correctness issues. It does seem to be a sellers maket right now. +1 for checking prices on GB (not the asking price, but closing prices). My 2 centaovos.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

I would want to run a patch or two down the bore to make sure it really is just dirty. If the bore is bright and the muzzle is good I would agree with Alan Humphrey that $900.00 is top dollar for an all original 03A3 in the condition you describe. I would not pay more than that.

As Calif. Steve said, pictures would help a lot.
    Last edited by Art; 02-11-2013 at 09:01.

Thank you guys for your input, we'll see what the owner says, maybe he's tired of waiting for it to sell and will take my $900 offer.

Someone's got nards the size of basketballs to offer a lump like that for $1400!
    Rack rash and corrosion do NOT increase a rifle's value! With what may be a nasty bore (you flat don't know without a scrubbing), and more corrosion under the woodline, perhaps a mix of parts thrown in for good measure, the fella is asking top dollar for a "farm fresh", out of the Railway Express box, with DCM/Depot release papers, rifle, and that is NOT what you're looking at!
    Consider that it was not all that long ago that the CMP dumped such rifles that were returned from Greaseland at "around" $500. Abusing and neglecting a rifle for several years, or perhaps even decades, shouldn't be rewarded with an almost three fold increase in 'value'.
    Something else to consider, (and something that seems to be lost on 'would be' buyers), is that on a consignment sale, you're NOT dealing with the owner, you're dealing with the scab who's selling it for him, and he'll tell you anything he wants to to keep the price (and his commission) as high as possible.
    Counter with $500, and don't spend a nickel more than $650-$700 for the thing.
    "They" made MILLIONS of 'em!!!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    shouldn't be rewarded with an almost three fold increase in 'value'.
    you're dealing with the scab who's selling it for him,
    and he'll tell you anything he wants to to keep the price (and his commission) as high as possible.

"They" made MILLIONS of 'em!!!
    Just wow. The arbiter of all private exchanges has spoken. All hail!
    Musta got outbid on something and it still hurts.
    And, please give us the serial number ranges on those "millions" of 03A3s made.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Someone's got nards the size of basketballs to offer a lump like that for $1400!!
    I was actually thinking the same thing, I suspect it's the shop that priced the rifle like that, they tend to go stupid high on Milsurp, especially when it looks close to correct. Jeff can probably attest to this, the shop is Imbert & Smithers over in his neck of the Bay Area; as for 'lumps', they have two Krags that are bastard children and they're asking so much for them I handed both back to the counter guy in about 12 seconds of looking them over. So why do I go in there? Because they're one of the few shops that still deal in used firearms other than hunting shotguns and bolt guns.

Wow! I'd hate to see Darrel in a bad mood. A 96-97% A3 with correct parts is a "steal" at around $1k. All guns have gone up, even 22's. The days of $500 for correct A3's is gone.

I, do however, agree with Jeff that gunshop consignors read the book a little high. I had one I was tired of, and all they wanted to know was that there was no scope holes. It was mil correct and about 85% (stock had been lightly sanded) and the employees almost fought over it at $900.00. It never made it to the sales rack. That was 6 mos ago. I have all Smith's now so I wonder what I'm sitting-on. Grandson will get them all.
    Last edited by Tom; 02-12-2013 at 09:06.