Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by M2Phil View Post
    I have used the S&S Krag rear sight screws, and they work very well. Went right on like they're supposed to, snugged down, and have held up to the heat and recoil of many rounds. Have also used their replacement Krag forends. Reasonably well made, but of course they must be finished (sanded, drilled for upper band screw etc.) and fitted. As stated above, If you can find a decent sporterized stock that hasn't been cut back below the lower band, use that!
    Purchased a Boyd's Krag semi-inlet a couple of years ago, and while it was a nice enough piece of walnut, it required an enormous amount of work, inside and out, to get it finished. Cost then was about $115, around $150 now, and please believe me when I say you might as well start off with a plank.
    my experience with the rear sight screws as well. They look so original I forget which of my rifles have them.

As far as the forends go I've had good results with a KCA member. here's the website:

http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/winreparts.html.

I've used them for hand-guards as well and the results have ranged from excellent to so-so wherein I had to do some shaving here and there.

A decent sporterized stock just went off on eBay for 128 bucks, so with some labor and less that 200 you could have had a reasonable stock.

Middle bands will be 30-50 bucks and the front band will be between 50-100 bucks. It's not cheap but its fun and you have the satisfaction of bringing a rifle back from the scrap heap of history. ANd, in a sense you will be buying your rifle part by part so it's kind of like an installment plan. That's the only way I can get rifles into my collection these days.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Mark Daiute; 02-11-2013 at 02:52.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I hear you Mark, all of mine are broken and mended pieces.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson