Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ID dealer that handle Krag parts?

Spent yesterday evening helping buddy who just bought a Krag barreled action.
    First doused it with fresh Hoppes' took apart and then soaked in kerosene. After two hours (long dinner of venison back straps, scrubbed and drain various parts and reassembled.

He made copy of my NRA should arms manual and determined what parts to obtain, SO who are good part suppliers to deal with?

Thanks.
    Last edited by jjrothWA; 02-10-2013 at 01:55. Reason: dealer, not gealer

I may be able to help with some Krag parts. Contact me with your needs.
    Last edited by 1mark; 02-10-2013 at 02:22.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

S&S Firearms in Glendale, N.Y., has parts. Also, old Gun Parts... (Formerly Numrich) but some of their quality is not so hot, especially on the new repro parts.

www.trapdoorcollector.com has more than trapdoors - see parts dealers Red Daugherty and Ed Kniseley. Don't spend your money on repro parts!!!!

Good advice on the small bits, but.... Not too many "as new" original Krag barrels floating around. Nor unaltered stocks.

I would never nay-say Dick but one repro item I like is the sight screws from SandS Firearms.Sling swivels in a pinch as well.

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Last thing I want to do is open this can of king-sized worms again, but are the S&S screws the CORRECT thread, or a force-fit & pray substitute?

Barrels, if you are going to shoot, maybe - but if you are not going to shoot, leave them alone. For stocks - stretching is, IMHO, the ONLY way to go, if the rear end is at all decent. Much cheaper, much easier, much better-looking finished product, and much less temptation to do the unthinkable and apply a fake cartouche.

Another good source is Joe DeChristopher. John

9. Default

I have used the S&S Krag rear sight screws, and they work very well. Went right on like they're supposed to, snugged down, and have held up to the heat and recoil of many rounds. Have also used their replacement Krag forends. Reasonably well made, but of course they must be finished (sanded, drilled for upper band screw etc.) and fitted. As stated above, If you can find a decent sporterized stock that hasn't been cut back below the lower band, use that!
    Purchased a Boyd's Krag semi-inlet a couple of years ago, and while it was a nice enough piece of walnut, it required an enormous amount of work, inside and out, to get it finished. Cost then was about $115, around $150 now, and please believe me when I say you might as well start off with a plank.

For parts also try Dan Lowery at oldewoodsman@bellsouth.net