1. Default Where to purchase a Trapdoor carbine?

I have wanted a trapdoor carbine for as long as I can remember, and I'm wondering where the best place to look is. Are auction sites pretty safe, or are there recommended companies that have them for sale?

Thanks for any help or guidance!

I would check out www.trapdoorcollector.com Al's stuff is properly described and fairly priced, because it moves.

Among the auction sites, www.gunbroker.com is the hands-down winner, but you must know what you are looking at, as many of the sellers do not. Some (probably most) from ignorance, but there are some who would take advantage of a novice. While it is not perfect, Poyer's TD book will give you a LOT of knowledge for $20.

One (very well known and well-publicized) source that I would NOT patronize is Trapdoors Galore in Las Vegas. They assemble guns from parts, and have been caught in at least one fraudulent transaction, involving an attempt at faking a "Custer period" carbine.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. I will keep checking Gunbroker, although when I see an auction with blurry photos I try not to assume they are hiding something. I do have the Poyer book and am trying to educate myself.

Thanks again.

4. Default

Also, look up Red Daugherty (SP?) at Baltimore or Tulsa. May be able to find a number if interested.

5. Default

I'd be interested. Thanks!

There's a very nice Carbine on Frasca's site, right now!
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

7. Default

For Red, try 260-833-2315

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty66 View Post
    I have wanted a trapdoor carbine for as long as I can remember, and I'm wondering where the best place to look is. Are auction sites pretty safe, or are there recommended companies that have them for sale?

Thanks for any help or guidance!
    I'll be placing this on Gun Brokers soon, I just need to take some better pictures of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carbines are a complicated subject-many have been created by cutting down rifles or similar means.
    Trapdoor collectors would be a good start.
    They have gotten pricey-I'd like one myself.

Good luck!

10. Default

Thank you for the replies. Wheeler, I just sent you an email.