Default History Channel does the SAW

Was at the public library looking for a couple nice DVDs to watch. There was one on the Spanish American War tucked in wit the weight loss and children's titles. WTH! So when I played it the big yellow H came up. It wasn't too bad, lots of authentic photos and even a little film, mixed in with the fake. They got the weapons right at least. Well, none of the carbines had "saddle rings," they were all smooth. But the cav units had carbines and the infantry had rifles. The volunteers had trapdoors and the Spanish and the Cuban forces both used, if not '93s, at least small ring Mauser long rifles. I even saw an insurrecto with a rolling block rifle.

They did a pretty decent coverage of the Las Guasimas fight. The rest of the battle coverage was so-so. They did give the buffalo soldiers a lot of credit. I thought they gave the Rough Riders a bigger place in the sun than that unproven unit would have got the morning before the fight.

The historians were kind of second string and they missed a few big-picture points. But overall, I think it was worth watching and give it 2 1/2 thumbs up. Out of four. Look for it and decide for yourself!

jn

Thanks for the heads up Jon... I'm going to look for it too!

Paul