Thread: New to 03's

Default New to 03's

Hello,
    I am interested in getting an 03 and being an M1 nut I'm kind of moving into uncharted territory. I have been reading up and understand the low high serial number issue, but in my searches It seems to me that 03A3's seem to be more readily available and lower priced. I really would like an 03. The ones I have seen on the trader sites all are either very expensive and alot of non shooters. I get it's an old rifle. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or advice as to where to look or what to look for or is my best bet just to get lucky at the local gun shop? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Do the following:

1) Read up on M1903s and get yourself "educated"

2) Hang around forums like this and don't be afraid to ask questions.

3) I don't know if they have gunshows in your area (Your New York location sounds ominous!), but try to handle and examine as many M1903s as you can.

Also, come up with a budget range. Get the best one you can afford, but don't do anything to put yourself in financial trouble.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Thanks for the advice. Yeah it's pretty dark days here right now but Springfields are perfectly fine to own FOR NOW! There shou;d be a show coming up here soon I plan to go. Here's a question. I learned alot about M1's through Scott Duffs books would Bruce Canfields book be a good place to start?

Not perfect, but not bad, especially the history and the different variants.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

As Rick says, get yourself educated. You won't be sorry just "looking" for a while. It will save you big bucks in the long run. Unfortunately there are a lot of unscrupulous folks who make their living off the uneducated. Buy the rifle, not the story. You're still ahead of the curve.

Personal opinion; come 2017-2018, people are going to want 'a piece of history' and the M1903 will be a prime candidate (along with the m1917). The 03A3, being WWII, won't see the price increase the '03 will.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Yes thats a main reason why i prefer to get an 03. Ive got WWII covered and was looking to get something that at least could represent WWI in my collection. Plus ove never fired one and am itchin too.

7. Default

sent you a email about one for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom13 View Post
    Yes thats a main reason why i prefer to get an 03. Ive got WWII covered and was looking to get something that at least could represent WWI in my collection. Plus ove never fired one and am itchin too.
    It's cool to want to shoot an '03, and you might want to try to hook up with someone, and shoot theirs. You might even check out the competition schedule over on the CMP's website, and see if there isn't a "vintage bolt action" match in the near future that you could visit, and maybe even handle or shoot a variety of 03's, A1's and A3's. Might help you make up your mind.