Thread: Ria/sa 1903

Default Ria/sa 1903

Finally found what I think is a nice example of an RIA/SA rifle. The rifle has an RIA Receiver in the 398,000 range with an SA barrell dated 4/30. The 2 bolt finger groove stock is unmarked as far as I have found so far. The only thing I can find that seems to be outside the appropriate range for the rifle is the bolt which is marked B-2 on the top of the handle which would put it in the very last range of SA production. Based on Vishooters chart I think it should be a NS marked bolt but I am still a happy camper.

2. Default

Maybe we can get Mr. Beard in here. As I understand this rifle, the serial number will be higher than 406K. Barrel date will be 1928 or 1929. Original stock cartouche will be SADAL. My rifle has a WL3 bolt, and it seems this could be in the correct date range. I have one of these, I think, but have not done the work to figure out how to post photos. Maybe someone else who is better with 1903's will come in.

About half the Rock Island receivers scattered over the S/N 375,000 to S/N 400,000 range were shipped to Springfield in 1926. The higher the serial number, the greater the likelihood of having been shipped to Springfield. Almost all Rock Island receivers above S/N 400000 were shipped to Springfield.

Hope this helps.

J.B.