Default Question for Navy shooters....

Been a Reservist for a long time, but 2010 will be my 1st season competing as such. The question is, are NWUs authorized for competitive shooting? They are really new to the Reserve and still sort of new to the Active Component; my thinking is that representing the Reserve Component I should be in uniform, and none of the other remaining uniforms are remotely suited to being on the line. If the word is civilian attire or organizational issue (i.e. BDUs like the MAs wear), then so be it...

V/R,

AO2

Active duty and reservists are welcome in uniform at the ranges I shoot. Especially so if you are representing a team. If you are authorized to wear NWU's in your unit, I see no difference in them and BDU's.
    I'd be surprised to hear there were issues with uniforms in EIC matches but I can't speak to that due to my ignorance; perhaps someone will chime in?

3. Default

Ask these guys http://www.usnst.org/

The USMCRs and All Guard that shoot with us locally only suit up when they're on orders; the rest of the time they're in civvies.

Maury

The current OIC of the Navy Marksmanship Team, CDR Glancy, decreed that the uniform for next year (2010) is the new NWU (known as aquaflage to some) in other words the shooting uniform for the Fleet Matches and All Navy matches will be that uniform. Interservice and national matches also.
    If you can get your reserve unit or center to issue you IDTT orders to shooting competitions, by all means do so. More points, right? As you would be carrying out legal orders you should be in uniform. Please ensure you don't misrepresent yourself.
    If you are interested in attending the Fleet Matches let me know and I can provide you with some information that will be helpful in obtaining orders to the matches April-May timeframe (depends on which coast)

The Uniform Board is on drugs again. The "NWR" makes sailors look like Mall Ninjas and the open collar Marine Corps shirt with blue trousers looks like the Nazi SA unifom. Makes me gag every time I have to go to the clinic at Quantico.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Bob;
    The Marines wear blue trousers.
    The new Navy uniform you refer to is with black britches.
    Sorry, that should be Navy blue (which only looks black)
    Last edited by P. Greaney; 12-16-2009 at 09:44. Reason: black vs blue britches

7. Default

I know I don't have much room to talk given the USAF's 3-button dress abortion, cheesy SNCO stripes, and the thankfully abandoned attempt at those hideous blue tiger stripe fatigues...

But gee whiz, khaki shirts and a c*nt cap? For Sailors?

Maury

The 1959 Regular Navy Team at Perry. Dungarees, khakis, and field hats.

The 1963 Regular Navy Team at Perry. Dungarees, khakis, and blue ball caps.

The 1986 Navy Team (not USNR) at Quantico. Salad suits or riverine greens, blue ball caps.

The following year the Regular Navy Team went to all salad suits; the USNR Team (which was a separate entity with their own OIC) stayed in greens until at least 1993, when I retired. After that, I dunno ...
    Last edited by Bob S; 12-17-2009 at 07:30.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067