Default Need advice/opinions on refinishing a Mauser

I am aware of the thoughts about following ones own feelings about such questions, but I would really like to know what you folks think/feel about me refinishing my Mauser. It is a 1912 Styer converted to .308 so in one way it is not "collectable" being a cut up and changed Styer, but in another way the rifle has a history as a 308

I am sort of weird in that I like nice looking rifles and have refinished more than one because that is what i like. I don't know why, but with this rifle I just got the feeling I should just put the rifle back together and not mess with it. It has a light European wanlut (?) stock and has many small dings covering a lot of the stock which I could probably steam out. It also has some real dings where the wood fibers are cut/broken and would not steam out. There are also a few spots where there are small amounts of wood missing. The finish on the wood looks even and in tact, don't really know what the finish is, maybe just BLO or some equilivant from over the years. I could make all the low spots dissapear but then (with my skill level being what it is) the finish would be much darker.

So what I am wondering is, what do you think about just letting an old veteran remain dressed as it is reather than refinishing it?

By the way the bore looks factory new, that is why I bought it. It also has a beautiful 1912 Styer cerst on the butt stock.

Just wondering......

Mickey

Mickey,

over the years I have come to learn: the less you mess with old stuff, the better. Learned the hard way, too.

jn

I am primarily a 98 Mauser collector, since the 50's. I no longer "refinish" but do a real clean up which may vary according to the condition. I never use anything but BLO 2-3 coat. With rifles with stock crests and other historical stamps you have to be careful not to damage them. A good washing with hot soapy water will not (wood fibers have been cut, so they will not raise). Light steel wool to remove fuzzy fibers. It will remove dents and most finish, of course if it has been varnished or similar, it will not remove. Whatever I do, which is sometimes nothing, I try to keep it looking like it may have been done in a rebuild or has not been riden too hard. I also remove rust and so called "patina" from the metal!
    You do not want a shiny un-dinged stock on a rifle that show use!
    I go to allot of gun shows and am really surprised at the dirty, rusty rifles offered for sale, but I have learned to look thru al the crap and see the potentual.

Thanks for your input. I sort of had a feeling that this veteran needed to remain as is so I only cleaned it up a little and put it back together. It didn't have a cleaning rod when I got and found out why. It is a cut down original 1912 Styer and a cleaning rod hole was never drilled to the depth that this short rifle would need plus no nut to screw the rod into.