Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For home defence a 410 is plenty big enough. Be sure its a pump, there nothing like the 'racking' noise to scare sh*t out of anyone!

the m-97 is a pump and if you hold the trigger while you pump it will fire as fast as any semi auto (maybe faster)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx8mhatB4xQ
    Last edited by goo; 01-25-2013 at 07:54.
    "I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round up a flea's ass at 200 meters."

try low brass 7 1/2's goo..... quail loads, at typical 7' to 7 yds ranges that most gunfights occur, anyone you shoot in the face or upper chest will NOT lie in court.......We have an old cut down Ithaca 37 , 20ga pump loaded with them, for ranges exceding that, I'd use a CAR-15/M4 in .223 with a 30 rd mag, or a good handgun.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

what's a good group for slugs out of a trenchgun at 100 yards?
    Last edited by goo; 01-28-2013 at 11:29.
    "I eat concertina wire and piss napalm and I can put a round up a flea's ass at 200 meters."

1" would be good - but it's not going to happen. 3 feet is much more probable.

seems like you wouldn't try to shoot a deer at 100 yds with a trench gun.

i dunno.

i'm not a hunter and i guess a trench gun ain't much good for deer.

i'm thinking its more better for bad guys at 10 yards.

Well, if you can match the slug to the gun, and are shooting off a bench with bags, you could well throw a 5" group, unfortunately it'll likely be three or four feet out from your point of aim. What you're dealing with there is basically a bird gun with a non adjustable front sight. Back in the days before the Ithaca DeerSlayer, et al, you considered yourself lucky if your pheasant gun would keep slugs in a paper plate sized target @ 50 yds., in fact that was the general standard for acceptability. Many guys used Kentucky Windage type sighting, ie hold about 5" low and 6" left of were you wanted to hit @ 50 yds. Even then many bird guns were simply unsuitable.
    I might suggest that you start out @ 25yds on a bench. Try a couple of the cheapest slugs available just to see if your 97 will hit anywhere near point of aim @ that distance. If it does then try differant make slugs (get a five pack of each), suitable for smoothbore use,to see which shoots the tightest and still stays near the target center. If your successful @ 25 yds, then move out to 50 yds....and so on. Understand that shotguns are picky when it comes to shooting slugs. A slug that shoots well in one slug gun may not shoot well in the very next gun to come off the assembly line. Matching bullets/ammo to rifles is a piece of cake compared to doing the same thing with slugs in shotguns. I have A LOT of experience with that as I used to ramrod our club's public sighting days just beofre deer season for about 15 years. We could process three or four rifle shooters for every slug gun hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    1" would be good - but it's not going to happen. 3 feet is much more probable.
    Three Feet? In Ohio, we are only allowed to hunt deer with shotguns and handguns. Of all the Shotguns I have sighted in for friends, not one has shot a
    3 foot group. All have been less that 4" at 100 yards. Some better, depending on which brand of ammo was used. 100 is a maximum shot to drop a deer with a slug and a smouth bore barrel, but ist's done all the time. If it will only group 3', I dought you could hit anything at that range.

goo, 12ga 1 oz WW slugs in my old Rem 870 riotgun will cut each others holes at 25 yds, & go about 3" to 4" at 100yds, 3 shot groups....it depends on the shotgun m, the ammo( try several brands) & the shooter.............but for typical home defense Low Brass 7 1/2 shot loads are just dandy... at 21 ft the shot spread is about 1" or so maybe 1 1/2".............

added, I hold tight at 25yds, only 1/2 the bead showing while aiming & I aim 11 inches low at 25 yds with my old riotgun........... your result might vary.........aiming like that on the centerline of chest, below the heart will hit bottom/ mid neck or so........on this old gimp KNOWS.............
    Last edited by da gimp; 01-30-2013 at 04:41.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter