Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pig sticker problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Too bad it didn't work out. The BLO may be soaked into the grips and expand them, or the BLO will crystallize under the grips and fill the gap. Warm the grips up in the sunlight before applying, use toothpicks or something to keep the gap open while applying. Good luck!
    Thanks Dan. I didn’t heat the grips up but at the moment they are soaking in a 50/50 mix of warm BLO and turps. It is a nice warm summer’s day here and the jar with the knife handle in is out on the back deck. I’ll wait till the day gets cooler before I remove it. I assume that a few hours in the oil mix will do no harm. Note grain on grips after freezer time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

Do you know what kind of wood that is? Looks cool!

I'd forgotten. You blokes are upside down, it's summer there!
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 02-08-2013 at 09:28.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I have no idea what kind of wood it is. Unnaturally dark I wonder if it could also be laminated. I have just removed it from the oil mix and there is no doubt that there is an improvement but not 100% yet. Of course it may well get better once the oil has dried or set. I have decided to give it longer in the oil and have put it back to soak. I’ll leave it until tomorrow afternoon to give the sun a chance to do its thing.
    Yes it is summer on our side of the planet but don’t be envious it is your turn next.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

I am pleased to report that the soak in BLO idea has solved my problem and the grips no longer rattle.Thanks joem. However it took three days for the BLO to harden. I came close to reporting the method as a failure. When it first came out of the oil and appeared dry there was no noticeable improvement. This morning when I picked it up I was unable to make the grips rattle no matter what I did. Light is still visible in places between the tang and grips but no movement. Grips also look darker but better for the BLO soak.Thanks to all that contributed.
    Barry

BLO hardens more over time, so the cure should get even better.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain