Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Pelago, I don't own either yet but am looking. We have a Winchester 62 my mother got on her 16th birthday and it's a fun one to shoot and the fit and feel of these old guns beats what's out there today, and they have "history". I'm not hung up on the collector aspect so much as want to avoid the pitfalls. Getting .22 ammo here in the North country is like finding gold nuggets on the street these days, good thing I have a stash of that!

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

GET IT, AND SHOOT IT
    once you have done that you will never go back, these are so much fun to shoot and they also make you shoot better
    and you can get an adjustable rear iris for the rifle and i added the USMC front sight blade (big old fat front sight) and it is an ass kicker at 50-100 yards prone and offhand
    i just bought four bricks of ely plus

Bought the one with the dcm papers. It's sitting at my ffl's till I get back home next weekend. Looking forward to picking it up have no doubt it will live up to your experience. I'll checking in when I get it.

Kurt
    Last edited by Kurt; 01-20-2014 at 07:13.
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

4. Default

I have one of the 1922M1I rifles with the NRA shotgun buttplate stock. The Barrel date is 1932 it's drilled and tapped for O and E
    blocks which I still have. It came with a JW Fecker 10x scope which is on a Winchester 52D. The Bolt is not electropenciled but does
    have a drawing number on it. The sn is very close to the OP's rifle.

Blog Entries

Some of the 1922M1 Rifles were made up for loan to DCM affiliated gun clubs. These will have the 1922 stock, which is also known as the NRA stock, and will be drilled and tapped on the receiver ring and barrel for scope blocks. A receiver in the 15000 serial number range would have been made in the late 1920's. From my observation I believe that the 1922M1 Club Issue rifles that were rebarreled were drilled and tapped on the new barrel for the forward scope block.

I got back into town and picked up the 1922 from my ffl. It appears to be all I expected and maybe a bit more.

I looked it over and it frankly I don't think it's been shot much if ever since sold by the DCM in 1957. The bolt was a little stiff from dried grease, the mags as well. The bore is like new, bright and shiny. I took it with me to the range yesterday and other than the stiff bolt and mags, it shot very nicely. I did have a few ftf's. When I got it home, I took the bolt apart (with excellent info found here) and discovered a lot of old black grease packed in the spring and firing pin! After cleaning and lubing that, it functioned with authority. I also oiled the mags and they worked smoothly. One mag seems to be better than the other, one is a little tight going in and out, both marked M2.

These are certainly fun to shoot and my stash of .22 doesn't look as big as it did

Here's a few pictures, any comments or info is always much appreciated!

Kurt

those little 22 target options, swinging, revolving, games are all kinds of fun with this rifle and you can get a merit rear sight adjustable aperture pretty cheap
    i also got a USMC front sight blade and put it on there and scores came way up, only one thing wrong and that is it weighs too much to allow to shoot at the cmp rimfire games, and it is a unfair squirrel gun

Pelago, I'm going to look into the Merit sight and I think I have a Lyman 17 Globe sight around here someplace. Fun to play around with! Any particular .22 ammo that stands out. I ran three different brands through it the other day and all seemed about the same. I have a couple bricks of 30 year old Remington Kleanbore that shoots well and is like new after all these years. Always kept it dry and in the house.

Kurt