Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Circle P stocks tend to be WWII rebuilds. Often there will be a boxed cartouche on the left side of the buttstock, usually SA over other inspector's initials. These will appear on rebuilds only. Bolts should be numbered to the rifle, but any number of places could change the bolt. Whether anyone but Springfield numbered them is unknown to me. I never have understood the P proof marks on these stocks since that suggests proof firing which was not done on 22 cal rifles. Remember that original Hoffer-Thompsons will not have the P behind the triggerguard. I have seen Krag gallery practice rifles that have the three letter script cartouche generally attributed to Springfield that do have the circle P behind the triggerguard. Theory is that some of these stocks were recycled 30 cal units.

Herschel, I will try to make the show and bring the two M1/M2's I mentioned. I will email you later in the week.

Great info, thanks for the help.

Jon Field
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

Default 1922 Springfield

Just traded for m1922 m1 Springfield,barrel date is 8-27,ser. No. 1473_ ,bolt number is the same,rifle has no holes drilled for scope mounts , any Idea what year it was made? Raul new member.

4. Default

*Let me add some information that could maybe explain this rifle. After WWII there appeared on the surplus market many 22 Springfield parts to include, stocks, barrels, bolts, etc. As indicted in the paragraph below, in 1957, the DCM offered M1 and M2 22’s in ‘serviceable’ and ‘unserviceable’ condition with no choice – you took what you could get. It is possible that a person who received an ‘unserviceable’ M1 ordered and installed “new” parts.
    Just a thought.
    *Just a little interesting history. By 1957 there had been a long “dry” spell during which “Springfield” rifles were not available from the DCM. In the January issue of the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN there was a two page spread on the availability of the M1903A3’s at $30 + $2.85 Packing and handling for “serviceable”, and $15 + $2.85 for “unserviceable. I think that many people jumped on this opportunity and failed to notice a small notice back under the DCM notes, that a small quantity of M1 & M2 22 caliber rifles was available for the $30 and $15 prices plus the $2. 85 P&H. Either M1 or M2 rifles would be shipped with no choice. As soon as I saw this (within hours of receiving my AR) , I airmailed my request and as I understand it, I was one of two people in the state of Kansas who was lucky enough to get a “serviceable” M1922M1I”. At the time I was just out of the USAF, starting a new job and a new family so funds were short, but I recognized this as an opportunity that I could not afford to miss.
    The rifle was in excellent condition, but had been rebuilt was parkerized and carried a 1942 SA barrel. It was an M2 and was marked “M1922M1I “with the “B” serial number. The second “one” was not a one but was the capital letter “I”. I do not know whether this was standard or if the builder just happened to have an “I” instead of “1”. Perhaps Herschel will know. It came with one magazine and no sling.

Blog Entries

Raulwaycross, I would estimate your rifle was made in about 1928. I am assuming the underline at the end of the serial number you provided indicates there is another digit there. I own 1922M1 #8674 that has a 9-26 bbl and #19376 that has a 9-29 bbl.

Cosine26, That is very interesting information about the sale of the Springfield .22's as surplus in 1957.

6. Default

I know that this is an old thread, but as I look at the D&T holes in the receiver, they appear to be out of line. The forward hole seems to be a bit further right than does the rer hole. I wonder if these holes were D&T at SA or aftermarket. Would the armory use a fixture that would keep them in alignment?
    Just curious

7. Default

Cosine26,
    Looks like one of the plug screws is flat, the other rounded so this may be why it looks that way. Mount a scope block and sight down it, you may find the holes are OK. I have followed this thread since these rifles are one of my main interests. 40 K or so were made of the 22 cal Springfields and 60 K were screwed with so that it is rare to find one that is original or even correct. Likely this is a 1922 M1 NRA receiver with a later barrel, put together by who knows. If you like it, shoot it and if you do not, sell it and buy another. Trying to find all the parts to make it correct is very difficult and expensive today.

Amen to what Kragrifle said. I started with a mint Model 1922M1 receiver and finally completed a correct, complete rifle. It took over one year and that was 32 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    *Let me add some information that could maybe explain this rifle. After WWII there appeared on the surplus market many 22 Springfield parts to include, stocks, barrels, bolts, etc. As indicted in the paragraph below, in 1957, the DCM offered M1 and M2 22’s in ‘serviceable’ and ‘unserviceable’ condition with no choice – you took what you could get. It is possible that a person who received an ‘unserviceable’ M1 ordered and installed “new” parts.
    Just a thought.
    *Just a little interesting history. By 1957 there had been a long “dry” spell during which “Springfield” rifles were not available from the DCM. In the January issue of the AMERICAN RIFLEMAN there was a two page spread on the availability of the M1903A3’s at $30 + $2.85 Packing and handling for “serviceable”, and $15 + $2.85 for “unserviceable. I think that many people jumped on this opportunity and failed to notice a small notice back under the DCM notes, that a small quantity of M1 & M2 22 caliber rifles was available for the $30 and $15 prices plus the $2. 85 P&H. Either M1 or M2 rifles would be shipped with no choice. As soon as I saw this (within hours of receiving my AR) , I airmailed my request and as I understand it, I was one of two people in the state of Kansas who was lucky enough to get a “serviceable” M1922M1I”. At the time I was just out of the USAF, starting a new job and a new family so funds were short, but I recognized this as an opportunity that I could not afford to miss.
    The rifle was in excellent condition, but had been rebuilt was parkerized and carried a 1942 SA barrel. It was an M2 and was marked “M1922M1I “with the “B” serial number. The second “one” was not a one but was the capital letter “I”. I do not know whether this was standard or if the builder just happened to have an “I” instead of “1”. Perhaps Herschel will know. It came with one magazine and no sling.
    Would you by chance still have the DCM papers that came with the rifle? If so, what was it listed as?, Rifle US Cal 22 M2 ?
    I ask as I've seen and am looking at a couple with the same mo as yours, 1957 DCM sales rifles. One has papers with it, one doesn't. Neither are drilled and tapped, both look parkerized, and have the 1942 barrels.
    I know this thread is a little old but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Kurt
    As the late Turner Kirkland was fond of saying, "If you want good oats, you have to pay the price. If you'll take oats that have already been through the horse, those come cheaper."

i am fortunate to own two of them, one of them was modified (seems like 100 years, but probably not) to a prone gun with a heavy heavy barrel, and the other one is pure stock and both are a pure delight to shoot, accurate as can be, and like a said a real joy to plink with, often debated squirrel hunting with the stock one i have it set dead on at 50 yards point of aim point of impact and, well can not say any more but have fun with your fine rifle