Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default M1922 M1 Springfield .22 cal

Here is a M1922 M1, that has an M2 bolt and magazine, but was never stamped as to being upgraded. It has a 9-42 barrel, no stock markings and appears to be in pretty good shape. Brophy's book speaks of about 200 rifles that were modified with an M2 bolt and magazine and never stamped? Any help or thoughts would be interesting to hear.
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

Blog Entries

Your rifle serial number falls in the midst of many DCM Club Issue 1922M1 rifles. The scope blocks holes in the receiver are further evidence it was a DCM Club Issue rifle as they came from SA with holes for scope blocks. Your rifle would have been made in 1928 or 1929, according to production figures from Brophy. From my observation I believe that when the DCM Club Issue rifles were rebarreled the new barrel was drilled and tapped for scope blocks. Is that true of yours? If your rifle's bolt was installed by a govt arsenal it will have the serial number of the rifle etched on the bottom of the bolt.

I have no explanation for the lack of the additional "I" after the model number nor for the lack of a "B" added as a suffix to the serial number. From time to time rifles show up that lack the additional markings. In fact, I saw one at the Dallas Arms Collector Show earlier this month. Due to the usual modifications I would call your rifle a 1922MII even though it is not so marked.

Your rifle's barrel, stock, magazine and bolt are replacements and I feel sure it was modified at Springfield Armory or at one of the arsenals.

Your rifle is in much better condition than most that I see.

The barrel is marked 4-42 and is not drilled and tapped. Also, the bolt is not engraved with the serial number. Thanks for the input, and condition grade. If you get a chance, read the paragraph in Brophy,s book on page 290, last paragraph, ending with "with target . . . $48.39."

It would be hard to say this rifle is one of those 200 guns, but it does have the target sights and not stamped for the modification. Just an added drool factor I guess.

Thanks, for looking.
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

Blog Entries

I just read the paragraph you referred to in Brophy. The rifle in question is not one of the "200" mentioned in Brophy. The rifles he is speaking of were the subject of an article by the late W.P. Eyberg in the Jan/Feb 1985 issue of Man At Arms. Eyberg lists 80 or so serial numbers of these transition rifles that he had observed. The serial numbers range from 19356 to 20834. These transition rifles had the early M2 bolt. The early M2 bolt is easily recognized as the locking lug looks exactly like the safety lug on a 1903 bolt. The bolt on the subject rifle is the late type M2 bolt.

5. Default

Brophy is referring to a 1922M1 upgraded with the M2 bolt. There are two, and perhaps three different rifles which can have this feature. First, the earliest conversions were likely done in 1933 or 1934. These rifles I have and have seen others are merely 1922M1 that were not sold until the M2 version was out. As improvements were made in design Springfield would upgrade the rifle before it left the armory. You will find this with the 1922 where there are some legitimate 1922's that left Springfield with 1922M1 bolts and magazines. With the 1922M1 the changes included the improved M2 bolt and magazine. The receivers were not restamped on the earliest rifles. Again, I have seen this on both the service version and the NRA model. Brophy hints at a special rifle and Butch Eyberg gets off track describing this rifle in an otherwise excellent article in Man at Arms, jan/feb 1985. In this article Eyberg lists a number of rifles he had seen or heard of that fit this new model he dubbed the 1922M1/M2. However, in my opinion, these are merely rifles that did not leave Springfield till the new M2 bolts were available and were thus "upgraded" before they left the armory. These rifles will have matching numbered bolts.
    The second possibility is a very uncommon, "rare" if you would version of the 1922M1 which was produced much later with the two examples I have seen having barrel dates of 1935 and 1937. These are rifles with NRA style stocks, blued metal finish fitted with numbered bolts. In one of the examples both the M1 and M2 bolts were with the rifle. It is important to note these are not merely overhauls, but blued rifles produced long after Springfield had switched to the black parkerized finish of the M2's. Also, the late barrel dates separate this version from the one Eyberg describes which were all barrel dated 1931 or earlier.
    The third, and more likely explanation for your rifle is an assembly of parts on hand by someone wanting to produce a nice 22 cal rifle. The 1942 barrel could easily be screwed into the 1922M1 receiver, the M2 bolt and magazine attached and presto! you have your rifle. I have a 1922 M1 rifle that has a receiver that has not been remarked. The barrel is 1937 as I recall and is drilled and tapped in the forward position. The stock has been slimmed down at the butt and a remarkable heavy aluminum buttplate fabricated. The rear sight is a later version of the 48 C Lyman and there is an interesting rear swivel that is well made and not standard Springfield. I bought the rifle years ago from the daughter of the owner who worked at Springfield as an ammunition tester. Maybe your rifle has a similar story.
    Last edited by Kragrifle; 01-20-2013 at 08:44.

6. Default

Herschel makes an excellent point. The 1922M1's that were upgraded before leaving Springfield should have the earlier M2 bolt without the headspacing adjustment feature. The rifles Butch Eyberg described fall into this group and should have the early bolt. The 1922M1/M2 rifles were produced later and will have the later M2 bolt with headspace adjustment capability. Both of mine do.

Blog Entries

Mike, I have 1922M1 #20434 that is one of a shipment of three 1922M1 Models that the shipping document indicates had the M2 bolt. The document is dated April 23, 1934 and the rifles, plus nine 1903 NRA Sporters are identified by serial number and were shipped to Griffin and Howe. The barrel date on mine is 1-31. This indicates to me that the rifle was assembled before the M2 rifles went into production but were still in inventory so were shipped with the M2 bolt and magazine as you say above.

8. Default

Herschel,
    I would love to see that rifle. Maybe the next Little Rock or Hot Springs show I can get down there. The topic of the M1/M2 has been one of my favorites, especially since I was fortunate enough to find two of the later rifles. One I bought twenty years ago. The other one I bought from Fred. If we can meet sometime I will bring my two rifles and we can compare notes.

Blog Entries

Mike, I will be at the Hot Springs show this coming Saturday. Let me know if you are coming and I will bring a couple of the 1922M1/M2 Transition rifles.

10. Default

If the bolt was changed at Springfield, wouldn't the stock have a Circle/P proof, and probably numbered?